Sunday, June 26, 2011

[Review] Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Prom and Prejudice
by Elizabeth Eulberg


Hardcover, 231 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Point


After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.

Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

-Goodreads

My thoughts?

Liked it enough. It's a fast, light read, but nothing spectacular. The scenes were bound to be predictable and honestly, stereotypical love stories are overrated.

Actually, I've read Pride and Prejudice way before but I didn't take it seriously so I can barely remember anything. Before reading, one thing that probably made it interesting enough for me is the term prom. I had guesses this will turn out fabulous since every girl in Longbourn Academy is obsessing about it, and I was hoping it'll be quite inventive. The story is narrated by Lizzie, a talented, hardworking girl who goes to an elite boarding school as a scholarship student and is constantly tormented by the rich girls. Unlike any other, she could care less about fancy clothes and jewelries, and had no intentions of going to prom. And when she met Darcy, whom she thought was an actual snob because of their social standing difference, I knew he's going to be the one. I mean, how many stories come up with that? Two opposite people, the rich and the poor, well that's quite easy to guess. Things aren't very much surprising.

Honestly, at the back of my mind, I'm quite thankful that I studied in a not-so-fancy high school but I know is somewhere I belong, where financial inequalities don't really matter. I think people with those kind of thinking are just plain dumb and self minded. Anyway, I don't know why but I had a hard time connecting with the characters and the love story itself. Yeah it's cute, but I was expecting a bit variation and uniqueness. But on the brighter side, the characters aren't too flat but written well.

I'm not actually saying that I dislike the book, and I still have some scenes in mind that I actually liked, but I'm not spoiling anything. This book just worked out fine for me and if you want something light, and some highschool themed romance, go for this book.


Ratings:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Review by:
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I've been hesitant to read this one. Being an Austen fan I expect great things of anyone gutsy enough to write something Austenesque or to take a plot directly from such a beloved classic. That was a great review and I might just give it a go. Might be good for a light summer read.


    email: vicky.bowman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...