Wednesday, July 27, 2011

[Review] Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren


Waterfall (River of Time, #1)

by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Hardcover, 384 pages.
Publisher: David C. Cook; New edition


Lisa Tawn Bergren's new YA series, River of Time, is romantic, historical fiction in which the plucky heroine doesn't have to fear a vampire's bite but must still fight for her life.

In Waterfall, American teenager Gabi Betarrini accidently finds herself in Fourteenth-Century Italy . . . Knights. Swords. Horses. Armor. And Italian hotties. Most American teens want an Italian vacation, but the Betarrini sisters have spent every summer of their lives there with their archaeologist parents. Stuck on yet another hot, dusty dig, they are bored out of their minds... until they place their hands atop handprints in an ancient tomb and find themselves catapulted into the Fourteenth Century and in the middle of a fierce battle between knights bent on killing one another.

-Goodreads
Amazon | Barnes & Nobles | Book Depository



My Thoughts?

Oh I love this book for so many reasons. Waterfall is so wonderfully written and the story too was beautifully crafted.

This is the first book in Lisa Tawn Bergren’s young adult series, River of Time. It’s a romantic historical fiction and that’s what really captures me.

I am in love with history. I can so relate to the things that was said or mentioned in this book. I mean, I don’t know all of the things mentioned here exactly, I just feel the familiarity. And that thing makes me feel all so giddy with this book. Like I can totally absorb everything about Medieval Italy. I feel like what happened in this book is so incredible so I can’t help myself fantasizing about being there with them. I think that’s what fascinates me truly. My fondness for history really magnetized me to this book.

But it’s not just that though. The story was also so captivating. Most of us like tough ass heroines. I mean come on, those kinds of female protagonists makes our story really interesting. And for that, that I enjoyed reading Gabi. She’s so twenty-first like lady and yet she was able to actually be like a lovely medieval lass. She is so brave and darn it, she’s so tall too. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Oh my gosh, another thing in this book is the Italian hotness going on and about. The Italian knights here are swoon worthy. Marcello is like the god of hotness in my imagination. He’s the every definition of male beauty. I might be exaggerating him but anyway, I’m so darn jealous because it was Gabi who captures his heart. I kind of like how he speaks too. And he’s so gentlemanly, but of course, that is what is expected to every aristocratic men of their time.

Bergren wrote this book with the combination of the present and medieval tongue. It made me feel good actually that I get to read the things the way they were said in the medieval times. I mean I’m not much of a classical type of person. I don’t usually read the classical novels so I won’t have an exact idea as to how they say things, but these kinds of books have it. Bergren wrote the conversation as to how they are supposed to be said in the medieval period. And I like it.

After reading Waterfall, I am positive that I will finish the whole series. I don’t know but I just feel like I have to. It’s something that I must do. I love reading it. I enjoy every moment of it. So it really is a must read... a guaranteed good one too. I wanted to share the joy in reading and the beauty of this book.


Ratings:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Review by:


8 comments:

  1. Great review! I am so so so so so excited to read this series! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few people have recommended this series to me on Goodreads and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review! I've actually never heard of this book, but I'm going to check it out now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    New Follower, and just wanted to let you know that I loved your review. I have also read this book, and loved it.
    Cana
    http://placeofreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the lovely review, Era! I'm so glad you've dived into the River of Time with me...looking forward to what you think of CASCADE and TORRENT. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book as well as the second one in the series - can't wait for the third!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep seeing so many great reviews of this series-- must check it out! The history aspect has me intrigued, too. Glad you enjoyed the book so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to start reading this series! I hope before 2011 ends I have already read it. One of my co-bloggers told me its simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...