Tuesday, July 26, 2011

[A Week Long Guest Post] Books into Movie


Welcome to A Week Long Guest Post
is a weekly spotlight hosted by We Fancy Books
today we have Mickey @ I'm A Book Shark talking about Books to Movies!
Ok Mikey the floor is yours!

Books Into Movies

I don’t know about you, but I definitely get all fangirl giddy when a movie based on a book I loved is being filmed and released. I stalk it on various movie and fan sites until it finally hits theaters. I check out the different actors playing my favorite characters and judge the choices. At that point, I’m either completely stoked or already disappointed. Then there are times when I’ve read a book and watched a movie from the past, or when I’ve already seen a movie and go back to read the book. Sometimes I love the characters and actors, sometimes I can’t stand it. Let’s look at some examples: books I’ve read, movies I’ve seen, and how I’ve felt about the actors. And if you’ve read my blog, you know that I love lists!


Times when I’ve been happy with the actors portraying my favorite characters:

The Time Traveler's Wife
  The Time Traveler’s Wife – Eric Bana as Henry DeTamble
   While this movie wasn’t everything I wanted it to be, I was pleasantly surprised by Eric Bana’s performance as Henry. He was just as handsome as I thought he would be, and when I saw some of my favorite scenes come to life, it was just like I imagined. He’s manly!
The Time Traveler’s Wife – Rachel McAdams as Clare Abshire
The same thing applies for Clare. Rachel McAdams was a fantastic Clare to me. She was whimsical in the beginning, and she struggled with putting up with Henry’s constant disappearing. Great portrayal.

The Silence of the Lambs
 Silence of the Lambs – Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Who wants to disagree with me? Haha just kidding. I watched the movies long before I read the books, and the role was made for Anthony Hopkins. End of story. No one else could do it better!

Everything Is Illuminated

Everything is Illuminated – Eugene Hutz as Alex 
I read this book, and the movie was already out, but I didn’t know. Reading Alex’s lines out loud in my head was hysterical; seeing them on the big screen was even better, and Eugene Hutz was great! If you’ve read this book, see this movie. 



Atonement

Atonement – James McAvoy as Robbie Turner
This book was tough at first. So I stopped and watched the movie. Then I was inspired and fell in love with the novel, and with Robbie. James McAvoy is amazing in this (as always.)


The Devil Wears Prada

The Devil Wears Prada – Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly
If you’ve read this book, you’d know that Miranda is awful to Andrea. Meryl Streep nails this role! She is spot-on in her atrociousness, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Times when I’ve been disappointed with the actors portraying my favorite characters:

PS, I Love You – Hilary Swank as Holly Kennedy

There were so many things wrong with this movie. It could be that I loved this book so much nothing would do, but they changed it a lot, and Hilary Swank just isn’t Holly.

Twilight Saga – Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan

As depressing and awkward as Bella is, Kristen Stewart is so bland and unemotional sometimes. And it isn’t just in Twilight. Just not a fan of her playing Bella.

My Sister’s Keeper – Cameron Diaz as Sara Fitzgerald

Sara is supposed to be this amazingly strong woman, having to tend to a family that includes a flaky son, a terminally ill daughter, and a daughter who exists solely to treat the ill one. Cameron Diaz is not the one I pictured when reading this novel.

The Time Traveler’s Wife – Ron Livingston as Gomez


This may be petty, but Gomez is this “pretty fine specimen of guyhood” in the novel. And no offense, but Ron Livingston is.. well.. not Gomez! Plus, they totally changed his storyline and involvement with certain people. Not the best choice for the novel’s character.

A Single Man – Julianne Moore as Charlotte (Charley)


Besides the fact that she isn’t British (although she tries the accent), I just didn’t like her as George’s friend Charley. As I’m writing this, I’m convincing myself that she was just fine, but for whatever reason I wasn’t impressed.

Something Borrowed – Steve Howe as Marcus

Steve Howe was greasy and yuck in this movie. Yes, Marcus isn’t really any good, and while I enjoyed Howe’s performance in the movie, he was NOT Marcus in my head! Neither was Dex, for that matter, but I’ve learned to forgive that one.

There are times when Hollywood gets it so right! True Grit and The Princess Bride are examples of absolutely brilliant casting. Every single character in those movies was portrayed by a worthy actor. I can’t say enough good things about the casting in other movies like Princess Diaries and even Derailed. And everyone and their mothers loves Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice! But sometimes Hollywood seems to have no idea what it is doing, and I’m left wondering if they even read the original book. The Lovely Bones didn’t sit right with me at all, except for maybe Stanley Tucci as George Harvey, and I hardly want to think of him that way. Nicholas Sparks books to movies are hit or miss. The Notebook and A Walk to Remember are spot on while Dear John and The Last Song fell slightly short. And for the love of everything dark chocolate, how did they make He’s Just Not That Into You into a movie completely opposite of the lesson the book tries to teach you!?

Okay, off the soapbox. I will leave you with one recommendation. If you never want to see another movie based on a book again, do yourself a favor and watch one last one. Go out and find the 1940 version of Pride and Prejudice. Watch it and love it. Any fan of the book has to appreciate this version of the movie. I am a fan of most visual attempts of this book. I love Keira Knightley, but there is just something about this old school adaptation that makes me love the fact that Hollywood still puts forth a valiant effort to bring our favorite characters to the big screen. (Yes it’s in black and white. It’s worth it, I promise.)

I'm A Book Shark



What can you say about Books being turned into a movie? What book are you looking forward to be made into a movie? We would love to hear from you!

A big THANKS to Mickey for participating on this feature *waves*



5 comments:

  1. Great post! I pretty much totally agree with you. I haven't read PS I Love You so I can't comment on the casting, but I love the movie. Is the book worth a read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!

    I love the Devil Wears Prada movie, but I haven't actually read the book..maybe I should pick it up from the libray! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good picks! I confess, I watched the first Twilight movie before reading any of the books, so I enjoyed it thoroughly. :) (Then I read the books, which complicated things.)

    BJ @ Dark Side of the Covers

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite adapted movie is The Reader (Bernhard Schlink). I have read the book and the screenplay. Actually lots of parts have been deleted by the screenwriter. But the movie is cool and got an Oscar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree! Sometimes Hollywood gets it right and sometimes...WTH? I'm looking at you, The Lovely Bones! I've seen that Pride and Prejudice and I love it! Oh the look on Darcy's face when he realizes Elizabeth just insulted him...at the piano? You know.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...