Thursday, August 25, 2011

[Blog Tour] Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Witchlanders Blog Tour by


Falpian Character Interview

First off, to start this interview, how are you today, Falpain?

I am very well, thank you, and hope the great God Kar smiles on your endeavors.


What is your favorite memory growing up?

Oh, I have so many!  My childhood by the sea was a very happy one.  I suppose the happiest memories I have are the ones of playing on the sandbars with my brother.  We liked to watch the fishermen with their nets.  In those days, our father still thought we would have magical abilities, and so he had much more time for us.  Sometimes he sent our tutors away and came out with us onto the beach in his bare feet and taught us the names of all the creatures we found in the tide pools.  He would never do that now.


Do you love your father even if he thinks you’re a disappointment to him?

It is a hard thing to discover that your father never really loved you for who you are, just for who he thought you were.  It was something my brother couldn’t live with.  But yes.  I think even with everything that’s happened, I still love my father.  I’m not sure I want to be like him, though.


Do you miss your twin?

Terribly.  All those happy memories of the sea are tainted now.  Since my brother drowned, the sea always reminds me of him.

How is it living in Bitterlands?

I’m one of the lucky ones.  My family is an old one and we have money.  But the Bitterlands are so full of refuges from the war that the land cannot support us all.  The Witchlanders were stupid to think they could force so many of us onto these tracts of poor land without any repercussions.  Sometimes I hope another war does come, so we can take back what they stole.

Could you imagine living in a world without magic?

The great God Kar sings the world into being with his magic.  He is singing right now, and if he stopped for even a moment, you and I and everything around us would disappear.  The world is nothing but magic and so, no, I don’t think a world without magic could possibly exist.  It is an illogical question.  Maybe even a blasphemous one.

If you were given a chance to be another character in a book, who would it be and why?

I am by far the most intelligent, good looking, and interesting character in this book.  I hope this doesn’t sound like bragging.  It’s just that this book is full of all sorts of low, common and uneducated people—Ryder, in particular!  It really does make me wonder about the moral character of the author.  But she is a woman and cannot be expected to have the taste and intellect of a man.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Kar’s blessing to you.


About Witchlanders - goodreadsamazonB&NIndie Bound High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future. It’s all a fake.At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated? But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned— Are about him.


About Lena Coakley - websitefacebooktwitter Lena Coakley was born in Milford, Connecticut and grew up on Long Island. In high school, creative writing was the only class she ever failed (nothing was ever good enough to hand in!), but, undeterred, she went on to study writing at Sarah Lawrence College. She got interested in young adult literature when she moved to Toronto, Canada, and began working for CANSCAIP, the Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers, where she eventually became the Administrative Director. She is now a full-time writer living in Toronto. Witchlanders is her debut novel.


Witchlanders Book Trailer



Contest Info: Answer the video question (YouTube video embed code listed below) in the comments, you are entered in the Kindle3 Giveaway. Gather up to 15 entries by commenting on each Tour Stop. Open US/Canada 




TOUR DATES
Monday, August 22nd -The Page Turners
Tuesday, August 23rd- The Unread Reader
BONUS post! Tuesday, August, 23rd - The Zealous Reader
Wednesday, August 24th - Books Complete Me
BONUS post! Wednesday, August 24th - Rayment's Reading Rants and Rambles
Thursday, August 25th - We Fancy Books
Friday, August 26th - Read.Breathe.Relax

Monday, August, 29th - Emilie’s Book World
Tuesday, August, 30th - The Mundie Mom’s
Wednesday, August, 31st - Enchanted Ink
Thursday, September 1st- Well Read Wife
Friday,September 2nd - A Journey of Books

Monday, September 5th- The Story Siren
Tuesday, September 6th - One A Day Y.A.
Wednesday, September 7th - Reading Angel
Thursday, September 8th - Soul Unsung
Friday, September 9th - Alice Marvel’sLena's Site!

35 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think this is the hardest question on the tour so far.

    Could I just make it a bad pick up line and ask him what his sign is? I haven't even read the book but from these posts I think I'm developing a teensy bit of a book crush aha!

    Brenna
    everafteresther(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I'm trying again!

    Falpian, do you hear the great God Kar's song and if I came to your world would I be able to hear it?

    rebecca(dot)upjohn(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you and your twin identical? If so, did you share any special gifts?

    acm05atjuno.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful interview, thanks for hosting Lena today - well and Falpian:))

    Besides: I LOVE the question from Rebecca! Maybe Lena or Falpian can answer this?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for hosting Falpian and me today. And thanks to everyone for dropping by. I thought I knew everything about my world, but I have no idea what sign Falpian is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite food?

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. great interview... hmm a question... can I ask 2? =)
    First would be: If you could hear the magical song that Kar is singing. What would the song be most similar to? (i.e. Enya, Beatles =), Elvis, etc)

    and Second question: Since you have a very strong mind I wanted to ask from a man like yourself what is your ideal partner/girlfriend? ^_^

    Thanks for hosting this giveaway!!
    GFC Follower: SpadesHighReads
    TValeros18 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! Ok...um...questions...questions...Hmmm...Okay this one's kind of odd...but, Hey Falpian...what's your idea of fashion? Breeches, tunics, cloaks etc? and building on that....would you want to model for us sometime? ;) lol

    Thanks for the giveaway!
    andralynn7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Falpian, what is your favourite book?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful interview.

    If you found your soul mate, would she be able to hear your song, or would there be a different song that only she would hear when you are together?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Boxers or briefs? Lol!!
    Nah, I'd ask him what characteristics does/will he look for in a wife? I'd be interested in knowing what kind of woman he's drawn to!
    Great interview,
    stellarbookblog[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the hardest question so far! Hmmm...I guess I would ask him what are some of his favorite things?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Everyone! Falpian's dropped by to answer some of your questions. Here he is:

    Greetings all. I'm flattered by your interest, although I must point out that some of your questions (like the one regarding my undergarments) are highly inappropriate!

    Rebecca: Although the great God Kar's song is all around us, only those with magical abilities can hear it.

    acm05: Yes, my twin Farian was my identical twin, but sadly, we did not share anything other than our looks.

    Vivien: My favorite food is a Baen delicacy called Mothers and Sons, which is fish cooked in fish eggs. It's wonderful! For some reason Ryder doesn't like it.

    SpadesHigh: If you could hear the magical song of Kar you would probably go mad. Even the greatest magicians can only hear a tiny fragment of the melody. As far as girlfriends go, don't tell Ryder, but I think his sister Skyla is very appealing--for a Witchlander.

    Andrea: Goodness what frivolous questions women ask!

    divavixenqueen: An excellent question! Your talat-sa is the one person who hears the same piece of Kar's song that you do--no matter how far away you are.

    Krystal: A while ago I would have said that I required a demure and dutiful wife, but now that I have been to the Witchlands and seen how bold those women are, I must admit, I am tempted to change my opinion. (And my undergarments are none of your business.)

    Wolfuvr420: Some of my favorite things are: poetry, reading, my dog and my little sisters.
    Thank you all for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the answers, Lena, er, Falpian. The plot thickens and I'm starting to feel some impatience for holding a copy of the book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's your relationship with Ryder?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is your biggest regret?

    lostnthestacks(at)yahoo(dot)com
    Ashly F.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree this is a tough question without having read the book yet, but here goes.

    If you could spend one more day with your twin, what would you do with your time? And would you be able to handle knowing it would all end in 24hrs.

    paranomalwasteland@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What do you plan for the future?

    jmluker at winco dot net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Given the way you talk about women, how do you feel about the woman that gave birth to you?

    Heather

    hrose2931(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your relationship with Bo and that scene with the carpet was hilarious! In your many experiences with him, what was one of the funniest things he's done?

    imagesandwords at optonline dot net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello! I am back to answer some more of your questions!

    jcmliao: Sorry I missed you earlier! I love to read and my favorite book is The Magician’s Enchirideon. It sounds weighty, but it’s actually full of wonderful legends and tales about my people.

    urgirlconnie: Ryder is my talat-sa. It is impossible to explain what that means to a non-Baen person. I might hate him sometimes, but he is my brother in the eyes of Kar.

    lostnthestacks: I have a huge regret in my life. I wish I had been able to save my brother Farien from drowning.

    Darkfallen: What a difficult question. Now that I know more about my father, I would like to have a long conversation with my brother about him. But I fear we would end up arguing, even if he and I knew we only had one day.

    Michele: My plan for the future is an ambitious one, but a secret.

    BURIED IN BOOKS: I adore my mother! As a children, Farien and I always wanted to make her happy, but we never could because she was always grieving the war. She lived in the Witchlanders back then but was driven out during the purge. Now that I’ve seen the Witchlanders, I don’t know why she missed it so much.

    Small Review: I love my dog! You should see him at home around other dreadhounds. He is the smallest, because he was the runt of the litter, but he can always outwit them. He has stolen food from the kitchens many times in ever more clever ways.

    Falpian

    ReplyDelete
  23. What annoys you MOST about Ryder?

    -Jill K.
    booklovingal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Falpian, what is the song of your story in Witchlanders.

    ~Na
    Cambonified [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would ask him, do you wish you were normal?

    dorcontest at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you like cats or are there cats in the Witchlands?

    truebookaddictATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would ask, "Have you always been a dog person?"

    contact [at] bibliosaurustext [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would ask: If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be and why?

    meganribinsky at yahoo for com

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would ask, "What is your favorite season?"

    lovetoread205 [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would like to ask him this: If you were magically changed into a female Witchlander how would that change your perceptions?

    musicalfrog at comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Everyone! Just dropping by to answer a few more questions:

    jillK: You know, I think I annoy Ryder a lot more than he annoys me. It's pretty annoying that he's so grouchy all the time--I'm much more easy going. (I think.)

    NS: My people believe that the world is made of music, and that when a singer creates magic, he is repeating one of the great God Kar's melodies of creation. I don't know if that's true, but it's a nice story.

    doreenriopel: I am normal in every way, I assure you!

    Michelle: The only cats in the Witchlands are large mountain cats called snowcats. I'm afraid of them--I don't think they can be domesticated.

    Bibliosaurus: From the moment I got my dog, Bodread the Slayer, as a puppy, I was definitely a dog person.

    15d767a6-d81d-11e0-b33c-000bcdca4d7a (What an unusual name!) If I could change one thing about my life, I would go back in time and save my brother Farien from drowning.

    Megan: We only have two seasons in the divided countries: summer and winter. I MUCH prefer summer!

    PattiP9001: Good heavens, what an awful thought! If I was changed into a female Witchlander I would certainly see it as a great punishment from Kar and try to alter my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Here is a pick up line for Falpian - Did it hurt? When you fell from the heavens? LOL. Okay so not much better of a pickup line, but in all seriousness I would ask you - Why do you think that you and Farien could never get along or see eye to eye?

    Thanks for visiting!
    Ashley Suzanne
    ashleysbookshelf at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What is your biggest fear?
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hmm... What's the one thing you like best about Ryder?

    jesi.m.miller(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. What flavor of ice cream would you say you are? :P
    aldiss87@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...