Wednesday, December 21, 2011

[Review] Legacy by Cayla Kluver






Legacy
by: Cayla Kluver

Publication Date: June 28th 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Format: Paperback, 496 pages

I noticed his eyes. They were blue, sharp and intense. Despite the youthful glows of his suntanned face, his eyes were cold and unfriendly, suggesting he had great experience in the world and was now expecting the worst.

In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.
When the palace guard captures and intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.
In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Nobles

I had a good read of Legacy. It was a pretty wonderful world Cayla Kluver created. 
This is a debut book of a very young author that I came to admire because she was able to actually publish something at a very young age. I have high regards for Kluver because she had shaped this nice story of a princess who’s about to be queen. But as much as I would want to praise it, I have a thing or two against this book.
There was just not much of action. I mean there sure to be something tougher when I’m dealing with kingdoms of some sort but well apparently there was none in this book. This was all in the princess’ point of view so it is to be expected that we will be reading a perspective of a pampered and protected beauty. I have nothing against it of course, but I mean come on, as much as cliché-ness goes, we all love a bad ass heroine, don’t we?
There was Alera, Princess of Hytanica, who is the eldest of the two daughters of the King thus she will be the next queen. She will be turning 18 so she is pressured to get married because the current King wanted to step down from his thrown already. Alera is the type who would like to be part of anything that involves the safety of the kingdom. She is really fit to be queen. But her father, the king, only wished her to marry the one he approves, but unfortunately, the one she does not love. And there was a mysterious young man who was thought to be Cokyrian (a native of Cokyri, the rival kingdom who has always wanted to invade Hytanica). They captured the young man, Narian, only to find out that he was the one of the many Hytanican infants who were abducted  more than 16 years ago by the Cokyrians only to be returned as corpses. But apparently, there was one Hytanican baby that the Cokyrians did not return. And this young man who was thought to be Cokyrian was actually that Hytanican infant. As Alera wanted to know more of what it was like in Cokyri and how they live their lives there, she was drawn to him. He appeared inexplicably mysterious to her she couldn’t help herself but wonder. She couldn’t keep away even if she wanted to.
There were wars mentioned. There were kingdom feuds. But I just couldn’t quite put a finger as to where I got so thrilled because something really exciting happened... because there was none. I was hoping something like really getting into the heart of the war or something of that sort but I have failed to find any.
There was an intriguing tale in the historical part of this book that would make you curious. It did make me curious. Thanks to this intriguing tale that might have saved this whole book into ruin. I think that was what I liked about this the most. Narian and Alera’s story was a little challenging in a way. Maybe that is the only thrill there is to it. That there love story wasn’t exactly the approved kind of pairing. Not that that was very original but it would do. At least there was the issue that we’ll be dying of knowing the outcome of. Of course I like Narian as well. He doesn’t talk much but well an enigmatic hero is a dazzling one as well. It’s nice at some point and because I know and I’m expecting that there will be more action in the next book, I think I will continue to read the trilogy. There’s this nagging inside me that says I have to know what happens with Narian and Alera’s story considering that Alera is in a really very difficult state already. We’ll see how this goes in the next books.


Ratings

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


About the Author


"I was born in Wisconsin on October 2nd, 1992.  I have an older sister named Cara, a younger sister named Kendra, and a supremely spoiled cat named Nina.  Cara's an actress, Kendra's a freaky super-genius like Reid from Criminal Minds, and Nina is my muse." ~Cayla Kluver on her official website


Official Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads 
Tumblr
 

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading this book! It is a story that keeps you entertained for hours.I've recommended this book to teenagers and adults, and they've all loved it. It's one of the best books I've read recently, and I think anyone can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! I really liked this book and I was totally impressed of Cayla's age when she wrote it!! O_O
    Im glad you still want to read the next one! =P Im eager for that one!

    Happy Holidays!
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! This one is still in my TBR pile, I'm quite curious to see the young author wrote the story!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...