Monday, January 16, 2012

[Author Interview] J.J. Bonds author of Crossroads






Crossroads – J.J. Bonds’ Interview – We Fancy Books

Thanks so much for allowing me stop by We Fancy Books as part of the Crossroads blog tour! I’m thrilled to be here and to share a little about Crossroads and my writing with the blogger community!

1. Who inspired you to write Crossroads?

Lol.The long answer or the short answer? The truth is that I’ve always loved writing and have dreamed of being a published author since I began tearing through the works of Christopher Pike in middle school. It’s a dream that’s always stayed with me although it sometimes felt unattainable due to the competitive nature of the industry. When my father was diagnosed with cancer last winter, it really put things in perspective. I decided it was time to take a chance and finish a manuscript that I’d been working on for some time. I didn’t want to look back and have any regrets or doubts and I figured that if my father could attack his prognosis with complete gusto, that I could do the same with my writing. He’s been one of my biggest supporters throughout the process and it’s his encouragement that has given me the confidence to chase my dream.

2. What was the book that most influenced your life — and why?

If I have to choose a single book, I’m going to have to say Twilight. I’ve read a lot of wonderful books – books that are more intellectually stimulating and even those that have better writing – but it was finding Twilight on my little sisters’ bookshelf that brought me back to the YA genre (which I’d so happily left behind when I got to college, instead electing to read what I thought were more age appropriate books) and reignited my love for all things paranormal. Twilight reminded me how much I loved YA literature and how heavily it influenced me growing up. It was also a welcome reminder that YA books weren’t just for teens!

3. Is there a particular character that you see yourself into?

This is a tough one for me. I can’t say that Katia is modeled after me, but it’s fair to say that I strive to be as strong and independent as I’ve written her. I have always favored strong heroines personally and if any character I create might be a role model for an adolescent, I’d certainly want the character to be worthy, although admittedly flawed. After all, we all have flaws don’t we? Its part of what makes us human and ultimately the characters we love so endearing.

4. Would you like to be a Vampire if given a chance?

I don’t think so. Sure it would be great to have the longevity, strength and speed of a vampire, but I’m a pretty picky eater so I’m not sure I could stomach the liquid diet. It’s entirely possible I’d starve which doesn’t exactly sound like an awesome way to go.

5. How do you handle criticism?

I wear my heart (and my emotions) on my sleeve, but criticism is part of the learning process and I like to think I can handle feedback even when it’s less than glowing. It probably sounds a little trite, but I have to look at it as an opportunity. I have a couple of great critics who are close to me, but nothing beats the feedback of an unbiased reader who’s not worried about hurting my feelings and who’s opinion will ultimately make me a stronger writer.

6. Do you have a specific writing style?

Truth be told, I suspect my writing style could probably use a bit more discipline. Today, it goes something like this: Daydream, fantasize, let my imagination run rampant. Outline, outline, outline. Create character profiles. Make notes (any place is good – a napkin, my phone, the back of a receipt, whatever is handy). Research.Outline some more. Make more notes. Write, revise, edit, Write, revise, edit. Edit. Edit. Edit.

In case you can’t tell, I put a great deal of emphasis on editing and revisions. In addition to partnering with a professional editor, I have three amazing critics who were happy to comb through each draft of the manuscript and provide feedback on the characters, the plot, and well, pretty much anything they loved, hated or couldn’t wait to read more about!


7. How did you come up with the title?

The title Crossroads actually came quite easily as it’s the name of Katia’s school and the geographic area where it’s located. The story is set at CrossroadsAcademy in the Green Mountains, which is actually known as the Crossroads of Vermont to locals. It was a natural fit given the location and the deeper symbolism within the story line. Recently another book was released with the same title and I actually flirted briefly with the idea of changing it, but in the end I was too attached and decided to stand firm with my original choice.

8. Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I am actually working on the second book of the CrossroadsAcademyseries and while I think fans of Crossroads will be pleased with the latest installation in the trilogy, I’m not ready to give any spoilers yet! I hope to have the book published summer 2012 though so the good news is that you won’t have to wait long to get your hands on a copy!

9. When and why did you begin writing?

Believe it or not, I actually wrote my first book in 7th grade. It was a children’s book inspired by Earth Day and a very ambitious teacher who wanted each of her students to craft an environmentally driven tale. Mine was about sea turtles, which I’ve always loved, and while my teacher raved about it and researched publication, the book is safely tucked away in storage now. It was her encouragement that actually got me thinking about writing as a career. I was already an avid reader (some might say bookworm), but I hadn’t considered yet that I might actually someday write my own young adult novels. So, although the sea turtles didn’t catch the eye of the publishing world, they definitely sparked my love of writing. As I got older the stories I wrote fell more in line with the works of R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike and L.J. Smith as they were my authors of choice throughout high school.

10. Is there a special research you did to write the novel? Mind telling us about it?

Although I’ve always been a fan of horror movies and paranormal literature, I still felt it was important to do my homework before writing Crossroads. I researched vampire lore extensively, which quite frankly is overwhelming, but I also had to do considerable research on the setting since I’ve never actually been to Vermont. I knew the school had to be hidden away somewhere rural and while Vermont seemed ideal, I really didn’t know much about the geography or anything else aside from the fact that it boasts excellent skiing. So I started with maps in order to identify the right location and moved onto researching individual towns like Rutland to get a better understanding of local culture. As it turns out, Rutland has quite a bit to offer, which I hope I’ve captured in the story. Every place and event in Crossroads was actually inspired by the town itself which has quite a rich history.
 ABOUT THE BOOK
Crossroads
by J.J. Bonds
Summary
When Katia enrolled at Crossroads Academy she knew things weren’t exactly going to be easy. The sole heir to the worlds’ most powerful vampire, her presence was bound to cause a stir. But nothing could have prepared her for this. Whispers follow everywhere she goes. So does trouble.

But Katia will do her time at Crossroads. After all, she’s only enrolled at the prestigious school for pure blood vampires to fulfill a promise to her Great Uncle Aldo. Tucked away in the Green Mountains of Vermont, Katia hopes to shed the demons of her past and focus on her education. Raised blissfully unaware of the entire vamp world, she’s got a lot of catching up to do.

As Katia learns more about this dark society and her own legacy, protecting her past becomes increasingly difficult. Bodies start turning up in nearby Rutland and Katia is sucked into a twisted web of danger and deceit. Haunted by nightmares she can’t explain and a thirst for blood that is never sated, Katia will do whatever it takes to keep her past buried. What choice does she have? Exposure will shake the Elder’s Council to its core and likely result in a death sentence at the hands of the Linkuri.

Nothing at Crossroads is what it seems and Katia’s secrets may be the darkest of them all.
BOOK TRAILER


ABOUT THE AUTHOR 
J.J. Bonds is an independent author who writes young adult and speculative fiction. Her debut novel, Crossroads, was released in fall of 2011. It is the first in the Crossroads Academy series. J.J. lives in Carlisle, Pennsylvania where her love of all things paranormal keeps life interesting. She lives with her husband and two rambunctious dogs and is expecting a new addition to the family in March.
 TOUR DATES


 GIVEAWAY!
 Crossroads by JJ Bonds

1. Comment to win!
2. One random comment will be selected to win a digital copy of JJ Bonds Crossroads
3. All comments will be counted to win a KINDLE FIRE with a Crossroads Gel Cover
4. Collect Clues along the tour for a chance to win
5. Comment at each tour stop for extra chances to win
6. Tweet and use #crossroadsbooktour for extra chances to win along with random drawings to win digital copies of the book
6. Collect clues to find the final entry to win the Kindle Fire
7. Winners will be selected January 31st

Looking for a clue? here it is!

   

16 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book. Please enter me in contest. Thanks for the giveaway. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugghhh I hate Twilight but I can see how it would influence other writers. I guess. I am biased because the writing wasn't good in that book. The way she made Jacob seem in the first book lacked so much I wanted to smack her. I think I prefer the movie better. After two hours it's over.

    Mary
    mary_reiss @ hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. J.J. I think its great that you were drawn back in to the world of YA by Twilight and Stephanie Meyers. Have you read her novel "The Host" as well? That is written as an adult novel and its quite good so for those out there that say that her writing lacks substance or seems flat, they should dig a little deeper in to her skills. Every preview and tease that have been made available for Crossroads have done an excellent job in piquing my interest so far and while I read voraciously, I am also a tough sell ;-) Good luck to you and prayers for your father! greeneyesredhair@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview. I didn't realize Crossroads was set in Vermont. Thanks for answering about the research- was curious about it.

    junegirl63 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like strong and independent heroines, especially when they still have some imperfection. It gives them room to grown and I like seeing this in stories.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding out these little tidbits as we go along in our hoping! Very interesting facts. And one, the research behind Crossroads was quite fascinating to me. Never thought about not having been to an area that you are writing about. Thanks for sharing J.J.!

    thewildtwo @ sbcglobal (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a librarian, I like to hear about the research. I'm curious why you chose Vermont when you had never been there. That strikes me as interesting.

    catherinelee100[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading today's post. I'm looking forward to reading this book.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for participating in The Crossroads tour. I enjoyed the trailer and am looking forward to reading the book :)

    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these wonderful blog tour posts are making me so anxious to read Crossroads!

    Candace @ Lovey Dovey Books
    lovemibooks@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Discipline is good, but it means nothing if you don't have a good imagination. I'm glad to hear that she likes to daydream and fantasize. Makes me want to read her book even more.

    vadeluna07@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok you got me. I bought the Kindle version just now. Waht else can I say? Oh yeah it was on sale, thanks!
    teressaoliver at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. I am so glad to have found this blog/post and blog hop book tour.

    anya dot sandoval at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the give away!
    -kali dontkillkittens8@netscape.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really would love to read this book...kindle fire is a bonus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing! Love all the facts. Is fun to see where an author book comes from. Very interesting! Your book sounds so good! Thanks!
    i tweeted: https://twitter.com/#!/LuvToRead09/status/161370217732247552
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...