Tuesday, January 3, 2012

[Review] Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power
by Maria V. Snyder
Publication Date: December 20th 2011
Published by: Mira
Source: Net Galley 
Summary:

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

REVIEW

HOW TO GET TRAPPED INTO LOVING THIS BOOK - GUIDE

It’s not very difficult you know. Let me tell how it’s done. There are different situations in the first step of this procedure. But let’s have this on my terms since I’m the one writing.

When you checked out new books to read, you’ve come across the title Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder. In other circumstances when you already know who Snyder is, you would check out this book because she’s a pretty awesome author. But in my case, since I haven’t gotten the chance of reading her stuffs, I did not have any idea what kind of book this is. But I checked it anyway because well I’m into adventure slash fantasy and the title sounds catchy.

So of course when I checked out the book in Goodreads, I was fascinated by its cover. Yes I mean come on. The cover was magnetizing. Absolutely one of the most beautiful covers out there. And that obviously just added to the level of my interest. And the plot seemed rather interesting as well.

Then you decide to give it a try hoping that it won’t waste your time. So you download it in NetGalley, yes I had an advance reading copy of this from my blog. But honestly, if I didn’t have this as an advance reading copy, I would’ve seriously bought a one. I think the cover really captured me. Not that the cover will speak for the entirety of the book but it helps, no doubt about that. And then you start reading it.

You read about Avry of Kazan who has a bounty on her head because she was a healer. There were 11 kinds of magicians in the 15 realms in which our story is set in. She was living in a chaotic world after a plague in which healers are accused of being the ones who spread it thus her bounty because the people hate healers. Avry was supposed to be executed after she was captured but Kerrick of Alga, who was an earth magician, helped her escape for his own benefit. Kerrick wanted Avry to heal Prince Ryne of Ivdel, who was put into fake death to keep him from truly dying, but Avry refused so Kerrick treated Avry as a captive while they were travelling to Prince Ryne. Their journey was rough because there were mercenaries and bandits who were on their way but most of all, King Tohon of Sogra, a life magician is after them. But while on their way, Avry started to change her opinion of Prince Ryne through Kerrick and Belen, Kerrick’s most trusted friend.

King Tohon is kind of a lunatic in my opinion. But I kind of like him. I know I know it sounds sick when you go gawking into antagonizing jerks because honestly Tohon is absolutely cruel and merciless and no question about that. He’s also jealous of Kerrick and he’s a sociopath. But I am interested of the next thing that would happen between him and Avry. Not that there’d be a lot of things that will happen since Avry would obviously end up with Kerrick but that doesn’t stop me from wondering about Tohon.

So there, you get magnetized and you won’t stop reading the book. While you’re on it, you get trapped because there’s no other way but to finish the book since you love it and all. It was a pretty nice ride I had in there. No boring part since they’re always running for their lives.

So this is how we break down the rating. I will give a star for the beautiful cover. A star for the wonderful story, a star for the enchanting world which is the 15 realms and the 11 kinds of magicians, a star for specific characters of Kerrick, Ryne, and Tohon, a star for Avry (of course I’ll give her a star only for herself).

RATINGS
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
ABOUT THE AUTHOR



Maria V. Snyder earned an MA in Popular Fiction Writing from Seton Hill University. Her freelance articles appear in magazines and newspapers, and she enjoys teaching fiction writing classes at the local college.


I received this book free of charge from Net Galley in exchange for an honest

6 comments:

  1. This book was good! AND I'd give a star to Kerrick too!

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Poison Study on my shelf waiting to be read. I've heard she is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won a copy of this from a giveaway. Still waiting for it to arrive though. And based from your review, I think I really am lucky that I won. :D
    Looking forward to reading this book.

    njeleen01(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did =) Too bad we have to wait so long for the next book!

    TyngaUF(a)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing so much about this book! not to mention I have it I just need to figure out a time to read it lol!!!
    Thanks for the great review seeing 5 stars I will so need to read this now!

    red_tigergirl2(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your review! I started this in November I reckon last year and still only halfway through it as I’m finding it a bit slow. Now I’ve read The Study series and both Insider books which I love a while ago so coming back to a Maria V. Snyder book may have made me want to savour the moments. But I will get this done as you’re a newbie for Maria stuff and you loved this.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...