Wednesday, April 11, 2012

[Guest Post] Does Social Media Help Sell Books + G!veaway



Guest Post

Thank you so much for hosting me today on my first blog tour. I’m excited to meet everyone! This is my only guest post not about the Titanic, so it should be an interesting experience

Does Social Media Help Sell Books?

As an indie author, and a first-time one to boot, I’ve found that the hardest part of publishing is the promotion. Even though I studied marketing in college (heck, it was one of my minors!), marketing and promoting a novel is very different than anything I learned in school. It can’t help that I graduated 14 years ago, when the Internet was still somewhat new and Internet marketing hadn’t developed yet. Blogging, Facebook, Twitter… all those things came later, and without them, I don’t see how self-publishing would be possible.

I believe social media is one of the best ways for a self-published author to get their book out there. If used right, it can be a very successful sales tool. I read about 100 books a year, and while I do the majority of my book-searching on GoodReads, I also find quite a lot through book blogs and social media. I see someone tweet about a book they loved and most of the time I’ll follow the link to check it out myself. If it looks interesting, I add it to my to-read shelf over at GoodReads. Twitter is also fantastic at finding ebook specials, sales and freebies. I’ve loaded up my Kindle on special deals many times thanks to Twitter, and found some pretty great books I might not have otherwise checked out. The downside of that, however, is that most of the books I’ve downloaded because they were on sale or free are still sitting on my Kindle, unread. I may get to them one day, but with a few exceptions, I’m in no hurry to check them out because they didn’t cost me very much (if anything). Still, it’s good to know they’re there, if I ever find myself out of library books.

One case that comes to mind of social media working on me is Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. It was on my to-read list for a while, but my library didn’t have it and I was hesitant to spend $8 on an unfamiliar author. A few months ago, the publisher put it on sale for $0.99, probably as a promotion to prepare for the release of Hallowed, the second book in the series. I saw the deal tweeted by a book blogger and wasted no time grabbing it. I started it as soon as I finished whatever I was reading at the time, and read the entire thing in pretty much one sitting. I then immediately pre-ordered Hallowed, despite it costing $9.99, the maximum I’m willing to spend on an ebook. At that point I was hooked, and had to see what happened next. Which is exactly what the publisher was hoping would happen, so I would call that a successful promotion. It’s one that I plan to try myself once I release more books.

For now, I only have one novel out (I’m aiming to release my second later this year), and I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t yet used social media to its fullest advantage. A lifelong introvert, I have never felt comfortable promoting myself. While the anonymity of the Internet helps, I’m not the most outspoken of authors. I post occasionally on message boards and GoodReads groups, and I try to blog a few times a month. I tweet more frequently, but I don’t like to push my book too often there. As a reader, authors who post promotional tweets every hour or so is a pet peeve of mine. So with that always in the corner of my mind, I’m careful to only tweet about my writing when I have something new to say: a new review I want to point out, a new blog post, an interesting mention I came across. I want to get my name out there and sell books, but I don’t want to be a nuisance about it.

With the Titanic centenary happening this week, I’m hoping to use social media as much as I can to get the word out about Destined. I was worried initially that it would seem morbid to use the anniversary to sell more books, but with so much interest being renewed around the ship right now, how could I not? I wrote Destined because I have always been fascinated by the story of the disaster, and touched by the lives that were affected by it. It’s my version of a love letter to the ship and the people who sailed on her, and I believe that love and respect comes through in the novel. So as the world remembers Titanic this week, I will be doing my best via this blog tour and social media to direct some of that attention to Destined. It’s my own way of celebrating those 2200 souls who were on board the “Ship of Dreams” 100 years ago.

About the Book

Destined
by Allison Kraft
Published: August 24th 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace


Summary:

While flying across the Atlantic on the centennial anniversary of the Titanic's tragic maiden voyage, Apolline Greer, last in a long line of vampire hunters, finds herself suddenly transported from her airliner cabin to an eerily familiar ocean liner cabin—as well as the entirely unfamiliar body of her ancestor, Noelle Greer. Upon learning that she is, in fact, on board the very ship she’s been fascinated with all her life, she knows there's only one thing to do: get off as soon as possible.

But whether by destiny, freak coincidence or a really vivid dream, Apolline finds that her trip back in time comes with three very good reasons to stay on board: Alexander Walker, a handsome and charming fellow vampire hunter; Cristof, the vampire that has tormented her family for generations and very likely killed her own mother; and Sasha, the vampire Noelle was sent to kill.

Time, however, is not on Apolline's side. The Titanic is on a collision course with destiny, and she only has four days to complete her quest. What seemed like more than enough time at the start quickly becomes too short as she finds that hunting vampires on a luxury ocean liner is much more difficult than she expected. Sasha and Cristof become more elusive as each day passes, while her feelings for Alexander become increasingly complicated. As that fateful night approaches, will she regret her decision to stay and witness history first-hand?
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery



Review

Titanic, Vampires, Vampire Hunters and bunch of history made me love this novel. Vampires! Yes, how cliché could it be at this age where people who love Twilight are being prejudiced about it. Well let’s not talk about that part yet because it is just part of it that made me love this book.

Destined got me right at the first chapter. The premise of Destined is very intriguing. You will find yourself engorge with every chapter. I found myself reading seamlessly in every page. Destined is a story of true love, true love which I think rarely happens nowadays or maybe that’s just my opinion. It centered on the journey of Apolline Greer who traveled back in the past to meet another Vampire Hunter, her Destiny.

The setting of this book is the Titanic; I commend the author for the amount of research that she has given this novel. It was well researched and well written as well. You know about historical novel it requires a lot of research and I believe the author’s research about the Titanic did justice to this novel.

The characters are easy to get along with. It seems that I connected well with the characters. Apolline is a Vampire Hunter who got mysteriously traveled back in time aboard the Titanic. She knew what will happen to the Titanic, but then she met Alexander, another Vampire Hunter. She got attached to him and decided to carry of the mission instead and be with Alexander. I find it noble but at the same time pathetic. But I think people will do anything for love. I believe Apolline did the right choose knowing what will happen to the ship.

My reading pleasure has been cut short with the following things. As much as I can say that I love this book there are certain things that I find quite off. First would be the delaying of story. There could have been a thousand times that the Vampire Hunters could accomplish their mission but I believe that it was being postponed, I hope not to lengthen the book tho. I believe it was not explained what’s the reason Apolline was back in the past. Maybe it was mentioned but I guess I passed by it.

I believe Destined is a love story that you don’t want to miss. The ending got me holding my breath and made me happy on how the novel turned out. If you love Titanic I believe you’ll be reliving it along while reading this book. Check it out and you won’t regret it!

Ratings

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

I got this book in participation of the Blog Tour and has no way affected my review of the book.


About the Author



Allison Kraft lives in west central Florida with her family and four cats. She taught herself how to read at the age of three (with a little help from PBS) and has been a devourer of books ever since. In college, she discovered that, as much as she loved to read about vampires, witches, ghosts and time travel, writing about them was even more fun! Her first novel, Destined, is a time travel romance set on the Titanic, another long-time obsession of hers.

Giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Follow the Tour


Enter today to win the Grand-Prize offering, a $25 Amazon Gift Card and an autographed paperback of 'Destined' (US & Canada, eBook substituted for International entries). Enter to win by commenting on this post! Follow the tour and enter at each stop for more entries!!

12 comments:

  1. Im loving the sound of this book! It sounds and looks so good! I cant wait to read it! Thanks for sharing!! :)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved stories based around the Titanic and this sounds like it would a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for hosting me today, and for the wonderful review. I'm glad you enjoyed Destined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a really interesting concept. would love to read it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this book, but I would love to read Ms. Kraft's take on the Titanic's story. This reminds of Fateful by Claudia Gray, another paranormal story set on the Titanic. I really enjoyed that story. I hope this one is awesome as well!!!!
    Thanks!!
    Alyssa Susanna
    lilleetleet@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually want to include that on my review since Fateful is like a Titanic/Paranormal story too... though I cannot compare since I haven't read Fateful yet!

      Delete
  6. I think the book sounds very good. Thanks for the giveaway. Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great informative post, Allison. Yes, social media is a wonderful tool when used properly. I truly enjoyed your book and yes your love for Titanic does shine through. Good luck wity the rest of your tour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! The tour was great, and you were all wonderful hosts. The reviews have left me with a huge grin on my face all week. :)

      Delete
  8. Destined sounds amazing! I love all things Titanic so I would really love to read Destined!
    & Great review! Makes me want to read it even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this book sounds really good! anything titanic related has to be good : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sound great. I would love to win it and read it. Even if I don't win it I will definitely get it.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...