Tuesday, April 10, 2012

[Review] Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent
by Veronica Roth
Publication Date: May 3rd 2011
Published by: HarperCollins Children's Books
Hardcover: 496 pages


Summary:

Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery


Review

I have a few thoughts to say after reading Divergent. But this might contain some spoilers so I just want to let you know before you continue reading it. Really it’s just some of the things that I find rather something that needs to be expressed.
  • It’s probably because I have read Across the Universe in which people are all the same that I think the factions in Divergent appeared to be nonsense for me. Really, I think Across the Universe makes sense more than these factions that divide the whole society of dystopian Chicago.
  • I find it funny that the Dauntless [one of the five factions namely: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent)] couldn’t seem to want to choose an easier path for them. Everytime they use a train, they always have to get themselves in it while it is moving, as well as when they have to get down. Ridiculous. But that’s the thing that makes them seem like people of the future right. You just can’t understand them.
  • Tris is another thing. I think it’s admirable that at least there’s a female protagonist that is not all prim and proper and would wish nothing but goodness even to her enemies. Really I think it’s good that in this book, I feel like Tris is a real human being. She doesn’t seem to want to wish bad things for the people who had hurt but she couldn’t really deny it in her thoughts because she was honest. She is so not perfect. And I may not understand her sometimes because trust me, there are times that I think she’s just a little bit of selfish but that’s the point right? That’s why she was on the faction she chose because she was not selfless. And I can say that Tris’ character is not made so we could all go gawking and admiring her.
I don’t see Jeanine’s right reasoning when she started massacring the Abnegation faction. She sounds more like a lunatic to me. There are not much antagonists that I would personally hate because I just usually leave the bad guys on their bad doing because I know they’d end up dead anyways at the end of the book. But Jeanine made me feel otherwise. She made me want to personally kill her.

It’s not much but that’s what’s in my mind while reading it. But I liked it the way it is. I’ve read a good number of dystopian young adult books and trust me when I say I’m not very much of a fan to most of it.



Ratings

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Book Trailer



About the Author


Veronica Roth is only 23, so her bio will be short. She’s from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011). The second book in The Divergent Trilogy, INSURGENT, will come out in May 2012. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of bland breakfast cereal.)
Blog | Tumblr | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

6 comments:

  1. That is not where I thought you were going to end up when I started reading your review. I thought someone was finally going to give it a bad review. :) I'm also not a huge YA/Dystopian fan but I did like this one. This is my first visit to your blog. I'll have to check back!

    Debbie
    http://alibraryofourown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teen daughter just finished reading (and really enjoyed!) an eBook called Hear by Jacqueline Abelson. Great plot, interesting characters and a real message of self– empowerment. Here’s the link:

    http://www.amazon.com/HEAR-ebook/dp/B0084V2WVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1337991481&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book, read the second book right after and now I am axiosly awaiting the third. I agree with you on the Jeannie reasoning. There was none, she is supposed to be erudite but the decision to slaughter the abnegation just did not make sense. I am sure she could have found a better way to get what she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 out of 5 starsssssss!!!
    At first I did not want to pick this book up.
    But. I. was. wrong.
    Definitely. wrong.
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book so much when I read it as well. I've been recommending it like crazy to people because I just couldn't get enough of it :) I'm holding off on reading Insurgent just because I don't want to have to wait so long for the 3rd book to come out :)

    regards,
    maycee of Glitter Gift Baskets

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this book,,
    same with maycee greene,,I'm holding off on reading Insurgent just because I don't want to have to wait so long for the 3rd book to come out :) hihi,,,

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...