Wednesday, May 23, 2012

[Book Blast] Masters of the Veil by Daniel Cohen + 100 GC G!veaway

Masters of the Veil
by Daniel A. Cohen
Published: March 1, 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Genre: Fantasy


Synopsis
Life can't get much better for Sam Lock. Popular, good-looking, and with a future as a professional football player. every guy at Stanton High School wishes he were Sam. That is, until his championship football game, when Sam accidentally links with an ancient source of energy known as the Veil and reveals his potential to become a powerful sorcerer. Sam is whisked off to Atlas Crown, a community of sorcerers who utilize the Veil as a part of everyday life. Once there, he trains beside a mute boy who speaks through music, an eternal sage who's the eyes and ears of the Veil, and a beautiful girl who's pretty sure Sam's an idiot. As it becomes clear Sam's meant for power magic-the most feared and misunderstood form of sorcery-people beyond Atlas Crown learn of his dangerous potential. An exiled group of power sorcerers are eager to recruit Sam, believing that he is destined to help them achieve their long-held goal. If they succeed, they could bring about the downfall of not only Atlas Crown. but all humankind.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery


Author's Top Ten Books That Inspired You Being A Writer 


10. ENDER’S GAME, by Orson Scott Card

My first foray into science fiction. I think I was in middle school when my friend Seth recommended this book to me. It literally blew my mind. And after I read the companion book, ENDER’S SHADOW, my love for books was solidified. I even wrote a song about it.

9. ENDER’S SHADOW, by Orson Scott Card

Haha, I had to. It taught me that the same story can have many different sides. Important life lesson.

8. CITY OF THIEVES, by David Benioff

This is a story that stays with you long after you finish the book. And jus FYI, if any of you are fans of the new HBO series, “Game of Thrones,” Benioff is one of the head writers.

7. ON WRITING, by Steven King

If you are thinking about diving into the mind-twisting endeavor that is writing, please read this book. Even if you hate King’s writing, the guy’s half autobiography/ half how-to is one of the best pieces on the craft.

6. THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, by Douglas Adams

Taught me that books can be so very, very funny… also not to panic.

5. ANGELS AND DEMONS, by Dan Brown

I got swept up in Brown’s writing when I was younger. This particular adventure made me question the very fabric of society. It showed me that important secrets can be stowed in plain sight, and that treasured beliefs don’t have to be fact.
And it was friggin sweet.

4. RELIC, By Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Preston and Child’s books might not be the height of literary accomplishment, but boy can they be fun. I read all of their books when I was younger and I became super intrigued with the paranormal. Their work deeply inspired my first book, “The Ancillary’s Mark.”

3. THE ALCHEMIST, by Paulo Coelho

This book is like an earthquake. It’s a powerful guide to life disguised as a simple tale, and without any warning it can rock your world.

2. THE NAME OF THE WIND, by Patrick Rothfuss

So to be fair, I was already a writer when I read this book. But it inspires my current writing. Rothfuss is one of my greatest literary heros. He makes magic almost too real.

1. HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I was the same age as Harry growing up. We adventured together. We grew together.

I LOVE these books. They made me want to do magic. But since I couldn’t, I created my own. They’re why I write fantasy.


Starred Reviews

I absolutely adored Masters of the Veil. It is a unique and creative read in today's sometimes overwhelming YA market. Daniel is taking JK Rowling's lead and putting a whole new twist on fantasy. I love that this book starts in Texas...being a Texas girl myself. When you combine Texas and Football...well, you can't go wrong. Then you throw in a heaping spoonful of magic and POW...you have the makings for an extraordinary novel. Congrats Daniel...you brought your A game. Ok...enough fan-girling. Let me tell you a little about this book. - Kristin (Better Read Than Dead)

As I reflect on the fun read I just completed a few minutes ago, two elements of this inaugural volume of the Veil series stand out: How excited many of my friends will be to find a fun read that they will feel good about handing to their kids, and how truly original the world-building is. - Reading Lark

This is a great start to the Veil Trilogy! A funny, imaginative, and delightful read! I'm delighted that we were able to get this manuscript for Spencer Hill Press. The main character, Sam, is like an American Harry Potter. Check it out--you won't be disappointed! - Kate Kaynak

Book Trailer


About the Author



Daniel A. Cohen was just your average business student. Microeconomics, finance, marketing… you name it, he had to do a PowerPoint presentation on it. One dark and stormy night, he was bitten by the radioactive realization that memorizing business jargon could possibly be the most boring activity known to man.

After gaining eagle-eye vision, abs that could grate cheese, and a talent for imagining things (including his cheese-grating abs), he wrote his first novel and began his epic battle against the formidable business jargon. He continues to fight the good fight by playing saxophone and writing YA fantasy, forever hoping his Veil trilogy will help inspire others to join his cause.

Giveaway

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! The support means so much!

    -Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORED this book! Cannot wait for book two!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...