Tuesday, May 1, 2012

[Book Spotlight] Cemetery Street by John Zunski + Author's Top Ten

Book Spotlight

Cemetery Street
by John Zunski
Published: May 16, 2011
Publisher: Smashwords

Summary

In a world where dreams are possible and nightmares come true, can you romance a memory? James Morrison thinks so. In a snowy cemetery, James reenacts a childhood ritual, unleashing an avalanche of memories. Laugh, cry, and blush with James as he recounts a late twentieth century American life.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Starred Reviews

I loved this book. I feel one reason is that I lived those times and was around the same age during the 80's and 90's as the characters in the stories. This book spoke to me in volumes. The characters are written with a knowledge that shows the author knew those years as well and felt a kinship with his characters as I did while reading it. The 80's the way I remember them, were a time when friendship meant everything and the mother in this book, unfortunately, reminded me of my own. I identified with the male lead in this book, James, on so many levels and at times felt like I was his female counterpart like John Zunski had taken my story and printed it on paper for the world to read.- Kitty Bullard (Great Minds Think Aloud)

A triumph! This is truly a fabulous book! Zunski artfully tells the coming of age story of James - a young boy faithfully enamored with Shannie, a spunky, smart and funny young blonde, and their friends growing up in a small town near Philadelphia. - James Birch

Get your tissues out! A great novel written about the "coming of age" of the kids that lived on Cemetery Street in a small town, starting mostly in 1985 and onward. Their triumphs and tradgedies weave a compelling story with unexpected twist and turns that will turn into a tearjerker as you get imbedded into their lives. This is truely a "must read" you don't want to miss. I had a hard time putting it down and can't wait to read the next book by this author! - Jan Brown

Audio Excerpt


Author's Top Ten Books I Want To Give As Gifts

The Bachman Books - Stephen King
The first book of Mr. King's I read. It set the hook. He didn't have to reel me in, heck, I jumped into the boat. Getting shot over because you're to tired to walk or shooting up a school and eating like a hog and still losing weight. At the time, I  had forgotten books could be such devilish fun.

The Indian Creek Chronicles - James Fromm
A token Non-fiction story, expect it isn't token, it's a great real life adventure about spending a winter alone in the Selway wilderness. I've visited Indian Creek and it's a hauntingly beautiful place - for me the site is literary hallowed ground.

Dead Eye Dick - Kurt Vonnegut
The only thing worse than discovering Vonnegut late in life is not discovering him at all! Such a dark story told so light-heartedly, it makes you feel like you laughed at a funeral. D.E.D is clearly the inspiration for Irving's Last Night in Twisted River.

The Shining - Stephen King
Wins the Super Bowl for the scariest book I've ever read.

The World According to Garp - John Irving
Number two in Irving's big three. I still cringe and laugh out loud thinking of the driveway scene. 

Cider House Rules - John Irving
The title that got me off of the literary crack-pipe known as horror. This one opened my eyes to great characters.

Confederacy of Dunces -  John Kennedy Toole
Ignatious Reilly - love him or hate him, the most memorable character American lit. IMHO.  

The Godfather - Mario Puzo
I'm a sucker for a mob story. I'm crazy for a mob story told well. An agent told me, get familiar with Puzo, he's a master story-teller... read him, know him, disect him. It's advice I took to heart. 

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
Hands down the book I gifted the most. For years I felt no joy like inducting a new member into the cult of Meany. I love this book so much that I paid homage twice to it in the following title:

Cemtery Street   -  John Zunski   
It's may baby and I decree that today is international Read Cemetery Street Day! I'll even gift an e-copy to ya! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/57123   Enter code sn56n.  Be prepared to laugh and cry. I will not launder your sleeves if you forget the tissues!

About the Author

John was born and raised in suburban Philadelphia. In 2003, he sailed across the country in a U-haul and settled in the Bitterroot Mountains of Montana. He is the Author of Cemetery Street and Shangri-la Trailer Park. Nightwatching, a ghost story, will be released in 2012. He is currently working on Cemetery Street's sequel, Montana Rural.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Can't wait for the sequel to Cemetery Street!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...