Tuesday, May 29, 2012

[Review] My Soul To Lose by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Lose
by Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamer 0.5
Published: July 1, 2009
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought
Format: Kindle Copy
Genre: Young Adult / Fantasy


Synopsis
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....

"An eBook exclusive prequel to Rachel Vincent's SOUL SCREAMERS series." 
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery


Review

I decided to read My Soul To Lose because I recently got the first book of the Souls Screamer Series. I was contemplating on joining the Soul Screamer Reading Challenge so I decided to read the short prequel first so I could get a grasp what the novel is all about and whether I’ll like it or not.

After reading it, I can say that I did LIKE it but then I have so many questions and left me wanting for more. In this short prequel we met Kaylee Cavanaugh and her best friend Emma. Kaylee was a very normal teenager, she has a best friend and of course teenage dilemmas. Talk about plotting revenge with the help of the best friend. Everything was fine until she had this weird feeling. Her panic attack started happening and she started seeing this black figure and then she started screaming. When she woke up she was in the Mental Health Centre.

I have to commend Vincent for the vivid writing. I imagined Kaylee hysterical and screaming. I was caught with the moment and ask myself what just happened? The aftermath of the commotion got me angry with Aunt Val and the whole situation. The ending had me so many questions. Questions that I think only the first book will answer.

Nothing much to entice me but my questions are burning for answers. I hope to read the next book to know more!

Favorite Quotes:

“I was seconds from losing control over the scream building inside me, and once it broke free, I wouldn’t be able to make it stop unless I could get away.”
“Dr. Nelson: “Do you have any family history of mental instability?” Me: “Yes. My cousin thinks she’s twenty-one. My aunt thinks she’s eighteen. I’d call them both mentally unstable.”

 Have you read the series? What do you think about it? Should I continue the challenge and continue reading the series? Share your thought!

You can download My Soul To Lose for FREE here
Read my Soul Screamer Participation Post here

Ratings


About the Author



Rachel Vincent is the author of the Shifters series, from Mira books. Stray, Rogue, Pride, Prey, Shift, and Alpha are available in the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia, and are being published in Turkey, Norway, Sweden, Finland, India, France, and Italy.

Also, look for the Soul Screamers books, Rachel’s young adult series! My Soul to Take, My Soul to Save, My Soul to Keep, My Soul To Steal, and If I Die are available now, and Before I Wake will be on the shelf in the US and Canada on June 26, 2012. The Soul Screamers series is also being published in the UK, Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, India, Vietnam, Thailand, and Spain.

Rachel’s new adult series Unbound debuted with Blood Bound on August 23, 2011 in the US and the UK, to be followed by Shadow Bound on May 22, 2012.

6 comments:

  1. Oh! Soul Screamers! Yes please! :) I need to get my hands on this book! I know I am like way behind the times in not having read it, but I so want to! Thanks for sharing your thoughts love :)


    Check out my latest review! :)
    Tabby @Insightful Minds & IM Design Studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should start the series soon! I really love it :)

      Jay

      Delete
  2. My Soul To Lose is come... I waiting for it.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't started this series. I missed a book club read for the series and have been meaning to get back to it. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first book of the series (not the prequel) and just loved it. I have the next 3 books sitting on my TBR shelf, but just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I keep planning to, but then I get distracted by the next new release. So much to read, so little time! But I did love Vincent's writing, and will definitely get them read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Soul Screamers books are my favorite series ever! I'm in love with all the books! I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...