Thursday, May 24, 2012

[Review] Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein

Pretty Amy
by Lisa Burstein
Published: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Genre: Contemporary YA


Synopsis
“A coming-of-age story without the comfort of padding…a relatable and compelling character [with] a lot of wonderful snark.” —New York Journal of Books
Amy is fine living in the shadows of beautiful Lila and uber-cool Cassie, because at least she’s somewhat beautiful and uber-cool by association. But when their dates stand them up for prom, and the girls take matters into their own hands—earning them a night in jail outfitted in satin, stilettos, and Spanx—Amy discovers even a prom spent in handcuffs might be better than the humiliating “rehabilitation techniques” now filling up her summer. Worse, with Lila and Cassie parentally banned, Amy feels like she has nothing—like she is nothing.

Navigating unlikely alliances with her new coworker, two very different boys, and possibly even her parents, Amy struggles to decide if it’s worth being a best friend when it makes you a public enemy. Bringing readers along on an often hilarious and heartwarming journey, Amy finds that maybe getting a life only happens once you think your life is over.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

Reading this book had me on a whirlwind of emotions, the fact that this book is very moving and touching makes me want to cry. I’m such a cry baby when it comes to tear jerker books this one almost made me cry. Pretty Amy is a very realistic novel about lives up and down, realizations that will entice readers even after reading it.

My first impression about this book is that “it’s very disturbing”. The main character is suffering major teen issues which I think is very common nowadays. Reading this book is an eye opener on how teens are like these days. Having major family and friend issues along with heavy profanity this book is quite a shock to me. It has a realistic take on how life is at present times and I think the author did an excellent job telling the story.

I can commend the Lisa for having such great characters. They are unique in their own way and very significant throughout the whole story.  Amy the protagonist is a character that you’ll be able to relate to with her story. Her story is quite tragic but in spite the hardship she learned from her mistake and raise above it. What she went through was very difficult and that had me feel for her character. I learned a lot reading this novel. Especially being a strong person. This is a very inspiring novel for teens and teens alike.

If you are looking for a poignant and realistic novel you are definitely looking for the right book. I would recommend this to readers who are looking for a new breath of YA Contemporary. I did say that I find it disturbing and I think it’s very different from your normal read.

Favorite Quote:
“That’s the way you’re presenting yourself. Silent, sullen, misunderstood. Without words, you are the very rebellious teenage girl in the world.”
Ratings

I got this book in participation of the Blog Tour and has no way affected my review of the book.

About the Author



Lisa Burstein is a tea seller by day and a writer by night. She received her MFA in Fiction from the Inland Northwest Center for Writers at Eastern Washington University and is glad to finally have it be worth more than the paper it was printed on. She lives in Portland, Oregon with her very patient husband, a neurotic dog and two cats. Pretty Amy is her first novel. She never went to her senior prom.



Make sure to check out my Interview with Lisa and get a chance to win an eBook of Pretty Amy!

13 comments:

  1. It's funny because from the cover you wouldn't think the book would be disturbing. I'm excited to read this one because you said it was different and I've been reading a lot of the same types of books lately. I need something unique to read for once.

    -Melissa
    Harley Bear Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it really makes me wanna read it more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love contemporary and this book looks really good. In addiction to that, you say that it's disturbing and I'm really looking for something like that and original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure it's disturbing in my point.

      Delete
  4. Really great review and I can't wait to read it. I love contemporary books and realistic ones at that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great you really liked this one! I thought it brought something new to the table, it just such a different feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really different that I find it really disturbing on the first part or maybe I was just not used to the fact that teenagers are subjected to these situations nowadays.

      Delete
  6. Great review! I can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your review! You managed to convey how this book made you feel in such a eloquent and sophisticated way! Honestly, you had me at "whirlwind of emotions". I love books that make you feel! It's such a breath of fresh air, after reading all those crazy paranormal books :) I am actually working on a contemporary month for my blog right now (it starts in June), and I've read plenty of emotional books recently, but they never stop amazing me. I LOVE them! Great review, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the review! The book sounds amazing. Must add to my to-read shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! Will definitely add this to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't mind an emotional read now & then. A great review thank you.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...