Tuesday, June 19, 2012

[Blog Tour] Cicada by Belle Whittington - Review and Excerpt


(Click to see full schedule)

Cicada
by Belle Whittington
Published: September 13, 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace
Source: Author
Format: Kindle
Genre: SciFi / Supernatural

Synopsis
Summertime for Blair Reynolds and her friends had always been carefree and fun... until the summer they happened upon something that was not human. As they band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human. Something unnatural. And their survival depends entirely upon their ability to keep a secret.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review


The premise is haunting and exciting, a thrilling read with a cup full of extratresstrials!

Cicada is a breath of fresh air, cliche as you can say but this book is very different from my usual read. It involves extrateresstrials that I'm sure you rarely read about. Starting this novel was never a mistake, I love it but I needed more.Though it turned out really good at first, I felt that the following pages were just fillers. I find this book strangely good at times but most of the time really off.

One thing that put me off is that this book is really slow, even after things has developed it's still really slow. I was looking for the excitement which by the way I did get on the ending. I really love how things developed through out the story, I was definitely gasping for more after finishing it. But through and through I found myself stalling while reading this. I did skim some parts which didn't help as much as reading is concern but it felt necessary at times.

The story felt like a movie. Yep, I think this book has a movie counterpart, I've seen movies like this with the same plot so it felt like reading a movie. I do enjoy alien movies but reading about it, made me imagine all the gory things. It scared me at some point but not enough.

Overall this book is not a disappointment, I recommend it if you want to read beyond the normal books that you usually read. This book was a very interesting premise that I'm sure you will love. Belle did a great job writing this book, make sure you check it out!



Ratings

Excerpt


The dark feeling inside me was twining its way out from the core of my being, winding its tentacles around my ribs.  My fingers were quivering, and I pushed my hands deeper into my pockets so no one else would see.   
I glanced to my right and caught the terrified expression in Natalie’s big blue eyes.  She was standing as close to David as possible without wrapping her arms around him.  David’s eyes were squinting slightly as he looked into the fire, and I noticed that his brow was furrowed.  Andrew was as still as a statue, his eyes still on Grandpa, but I could see that he was wondering … wondering … it scared me when he wondered … 
The group grew eerily quiet and still for several moments.  That’s when I became keenly aware of the separation of dark and light that met out by the back gate.  Something made me think that there were eyes on the other side of the wall of darkness where the light shining from the back porch ended.  Something was watching.  Something knew about that haunted wood.  Something that made a circle in the lush green grass out where the cows usually graze.  I felt my breath catch in my throat. 
Grandpa grabbed me by the elbow and drew me into a hug.  “Now, now, Blair.  Don’t you go get scared.  This is your land here, sweet pea.  Don’t you fear anything on your land.”   
“Let’s go out there!”  I hadn’t noticed that Everett was sitting by his dad with that wild, inquisitive look in his eyes.  “I want to go see the crop circle!”  He stood, looked out back at the four wheelers then back at Andrew.  “Just a peek.  Come on!”  His eyes pleaded with Andrew.  Everett just never seemed to have a healthy dose of fear.  His curiosity always won out over anything that might be the least bit frightening. 
“Naw, Everett.  It’s too dark out there tonight.  There’s no moon.  We wouldn’t be able to see our hands in front of our faces let alone drive out there without running into a tree.”  Andrew tried to look calm and unafraid as he spoke, yet I saw the subtle difference in his stance.  He stood a little more alert … a little wary.  I noticed how he turned his face a little to the side and looked toward the back pastures and the mystery that lay out in the black night.  “Let’s go out there tomorrow.”  He spoke as if he saw something that no one else could.  As if he could see through the darkness.  “Tomorrow.” 


About the Author





Belle resides somewhere north of Houston, Texas in a small inconsequential town with the smallest most inconsequential name. There, in the shady reaches of the pines, elms, and oaks, she daydreams of adventures and secrets that she weaves throughout her stories.

As a student of literature, Belle is earning her degree in English at the University of Houston. She hopes to teach literature at the college level some day.

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks to to lovely JayJay for reading "Cicada" and writing such a kind, heartfelt review. I really appreciate your thoughts, and I take them to heart when I think about my future books. :-) And thank you for promoting "Cicada" and taking part of this awesome fun tour! :-)

    And many warm thanks to the lovely readers who have stopped by to read JayJay's review and enter the contest. Y'all are the reason I write! <3

    ~Belle

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...