Sunday, June 17, 2012

[Review] Entwined by Heather Dixon

Entwined
by Heather Dixon
Published: March 29, 2011
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Source: Bought
Format: eBook
Genre: Young Adult / Fantasy

Synopsis
Azalea and her younger sisters dance in the mysterious silver forest every night, escaping from the sadness of the palace and their father’s grief. What they don’t understand—although as time passes they begin to get an inkling of the danger they are in—is that the mysterious and dashing Keeper is tightening his snare with deadly purpose. Luckily, Azalea is brave and steadfast. Luckily, a handsome young army captain also has his eye on Azalea. . . . Lush, romantic, and compelling, this debut novel by Heather Dixon will thrill fans of Shannon Hale, Robin McKinley, and Edith Pattou.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

I was confused when I started reading the book, haven't read the original book either (The Twelve Dancing Princesses) so I never thought that the setting would be a magical one. Yep, trees talking, walking china teacups and the like. This is like reading Disney.

Azalea, the eldest of the sisters, is the lead of the story. I'm not sure if I missed it but I don't know how old she is and guessing on her actions though, I think she's around 18. She may be very young but I think she carried herself and her sisters so well. I couldn't imagine going through mourning and taking your mother's place at once. And having 11 sisters, with odd but cute names, made things a little more tough. All they did was cry! And argue! And laugh! It was a whirlwind of emotions and I was dragged into it and felt every mental state they were in. It felt so dramatic and so good.

I just don't get how the Queen got pregnant when she had been sick for 2 years?! Can someone explain it to me? Or is the King that insensitive? They should have used condoms! Lol as if condoms exist during that time. But child bearing should not happen when you're sick.

I always love the scenes with the King. I think he was just clueless, he didn't know what to do with the girls. And they were all mischievous! Hilarious! "Surrender!"

"You know I know where you go, and I know you know I know of it" - Oh, the King is a very stiff and serious man but this is just funny!

It was just so gullible of Azalea to believe in everything Keeper told her! Protagonists - always have a dash of stupidity! I couldn't stop myself from thinking it was all her fault. And where were the other guys when (sorry for the spoiler) Keeper was about to shoot the King? But damn, I was fighting off tears when the girls started calling him "Papa", all my angst toward Azalea and Keeper were instantly gone.

I gotta go find my king and do the Soul's Curtsy and dance Entwine. This book is very much enthralling. You gotta read it!

Ratings

About the Author



Heather Dixon grew up in a large family with four brothers and six sisters. She is a storyboard artist as well as a writer, and lives in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Viennese waltz is her dance of choice. She is the author of the novel Entwined.

19 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I went into it knowing what to expect (I've read almost a dozen retellings of the Twelve Dancing Princesses) but still found myself marveling at all the small magical elements. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is like reading Disney" haha. Love it. I am gonna have to check this one out. Great review :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the king's statement there. It's like a tongue twister thing. :D Glad you enjoyed it. Was the book confusing with 11 sisters in there? Too many characters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, not at all! One good thing about this book is you'd never forget the characters, like you'd know instantly who's who, who's talking, etc. :))

      Delete
  4. I do not know the book, from your review looks interesting: D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one definitely sounds funny and interesting. I gotta make sure to check it out! Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fairytale retellings, and though I haven't read the original tale, the characters seem very interesting:)

    Thanks for this review:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you guys! Yup, you should read the book! :) really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely picking this up on my next library trip!

    though the comment about it sounding lilke Disney had me wince.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got this book a few days ago, and though I've only started reading it, I'm glad to have discovered your review. I'm still in the beginning "confused" stage (and I hadn't read the Twelve Dancing Princesses either, or ever heard of it before), but I'm looking forward to getting further in the story because it sounds like it gets more exciting. And I'm a huge Disney fan, so anything that's "like reading Disney" will be awesome in my book. Thanks for the review and the recommendation! I'm more excited about this now, and I can't wait to continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The beginning of the book was a little to slow for me, I was hard to get into it and then I stopped reading it. Reading your review I might just try to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard so much about this book but never enough to actually pick it up!
    I'll see about giving it a try after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not know the book, from your review looks interesting:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started reading Entwined and love it. I also LOVE that Heather is an illustrator/animator! She even made paper dolls for her book! (they're on her DeviantArt page).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore this book. It didn't take me long to start falling in love with it. The characters were amazing, the world building was amazing. The plot was fast paced and fun, and emotional. It was just a great read and I am glad I took the chance. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool review! I love the twelve dancing princesses. <3

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...