Friday, June 1, 2012

[Review] Sebastian and the Afterlife by William J. Barry

Sebastian and the Afterlife
by William J. Barry
Published: February 23, 2011
Publisher: The Writer's Coffee Shop
Source: Author
Format: Paperback
Genre: Young Adult


Synopsis

Sebastian awakes to find himself in a mystical realm somewhere between the living and the dead. Unspeakable dangers lurk in this realm. The Grim Reaper and his loyal agents work to maintain the law, as the threat of soul pirates (the wicked harvesters of spirit energy) has been on the rise. The infamous leader of the pirates, Axis Red, has a treacherous plan to take over the realm and set himself as the supreme authority.

While Sebastian and his new-found friends learn to cope with the wonders and perils of this strange spirit realm, Sebastian finds himself longing for his lost love Sarah, who is still alive in the mortal world. Some things are forbidden; some lines cannot be crossed. What will Sebastian risk to be close to her again? Join them on the journey of a lifetime and beyond
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

Who would’ve thought there’s a place between death and afterlife? (And a school we can go to, even!)

Who would've thought that the creepy Grim Reaper rules that place?

And who would’ve thought that a place filled with dead people would be also full of blasting energies?


Hah! Nope, I never really thought of those… until I read this book. It introduced me to ‘the place between places’ a.k.a Sapentia, where one’s dead soul would go to after his life on earth ends, and meet Grim Reaper who’s waiting patiently by the Archway which leads people to the afterlife. Yes, he carries his large scythe with him; no, he does not scare people out of their guts. He stands by the large gateway and guide souls whether they are ready to go or if they still have unfinished businesses on earth.Enter Sebastian, our main teen protagonist who just permanently exited the mortal realm and just found himself in Sapentia stuck with troubles of leaving his family behind, and the love of his life, Sarah. Tangle him up with his fellow newbies --a word geek buddy named Jack, and two chics named Onyx, you’re resident pretty perfectionist, and you’re ever sweet pumpkin Patricia, who both have hots for our Sebastian. Together they go to Sapentia and learn to untangle the must-avoided energy cocoon traps, travel everywhere using a compass, meet the ever famous agents of the Reaper, point out the traitors and pirates, discover their unfinished earthly missions and save the entire spirit realm!

Reading this book feels like being transported into a place where somehow you’re familiarized of hearing, but never really imagined of putting yourself into, considering of our scary notions of death and afterlife. What I like about it is that though it is described with a scary “no-day, all-night” with haunted forests, caves, and schools kind of setting, it was all interesting. Add up the quirky characters that made everything in the book glow. Also, one of the factors that made me turn the book pages rapidly is the way the author intertwined the doings of the protagonists from the spirit world to the lives of their beloved mortals here in earth. It made me think that maybe sometimes, our loved once who had passed away are our safety nets who guide us away from troubles and the ones that urge us to take chances and consider possibilities. Yep, it is also packed with moral lessons hidden in the actions of the characters, and realizations that its future readers might internalize. I must say this book is an out-of-this-world read!

Ratings
I got this book from the author in exchange for an honest review it has no way affected my review of the book.

Book Trailer


About the Author



I was born in Newton, New Jersey, but moved to Florida and then Georgia at a young age.

Growing up I attended a private Christian school (predominantly catholic) in Augusta, Georgia, for elementary through high school.

Ever since I was in grade school, I wrote stories to pass the time. At the age of 12 I started taking classical guitar followed by classical voice lessons at the local college. I continued to write short stories on occasion. In the 10th grade I checked out a book of Edgar Allan Poe’s complete works from the school library. His pages were full of inspiration for me and to this day he is still my favorite author.

11 comments:

  1. Oh this book sounds fun, creepy and exciting. Can't wait to read. Love the trailer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should definitely read it ;)

      -geianne

      Delete
  2. I have never come across this book. Sounds very interesting! Your review makes me want to read it now!

    I am also a huge fan of book trailers and I have to say that trailer is awesome!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the #CommentLove by Damaris ♥

      -Jay

      Delete
  3. I love the premise of this one! An actual school in the afterlife? And everything's haunted? Sounds awesome!!

    What I love is how the characters still care for those they left behind, and how the main character wants to be reunited with his love. Nice themes, that give the story a lot of meaning.

    Love the video:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book is filled with lessons and the characters are really lovable. its a nice read :D

    -geianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like my kind of book:) I can't wait to read this:) THe trailer was awesome:)) thankyou
    -JennyC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I did not even know this book existed, and now I want to add it to my TBR list, thanks to your insightful review. Sounds very dark and atmospheric, yet interesting at the same time! :D I like the trailer too...very well done.

    Name: Hira Hasnain
    Email: Enamoredsoul(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this sounds like a great story. I haven't heard of a plot like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. Didn't hear it existed before!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...