Saturday, June 2, 2012

[Review] Vengeance Born by Kylie Griffin

Vengeance Born
by Kylie Griffin
Series: The Light Blade #1
Published: February 7, 2012
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Source: Author
Format: ARC
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Synopsis
There is no mercy in the demon realm. No escape. In this place of desperation and conflict, anyone who is not pure bred is virtually powerless. Until an unlikely champion is born...

Annika, half-blood daughter of the Na'Reish King, longs for more than her tormented life among her father's people. Conceived in hatred and bred as a tool of retribution, she's gifted with a special talent that can heal as well as destroy...

With the Na'Reish vastly outnumbering them, Kalan, a Light Blade warrior, knows the future of humankind depends on him alone. Incursions into human territory and raids for blood-slaves by the Na'Reish Horde have increased. As Chosen-leader, he faces the task of stopping the demons-and convincing the Council of aging Light Blade warriors that change is necessary for survival.

When Annika learns Kalan is a prisoner in her father's dungeon, her dream of escape seems within reach. She agrees to free him in exchange for his protection once they reach human territory. Now, marked for death for helping him, Annika must learn to trust Kalan as they face not only the perilous journey to the border but enemies within the Council-and discover a shocking truth that could throw the human race into civil war...
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

Would you trust a person who was born to kill your kind? Will you trust a demon because she saved your life? A journey of trust, love and acceptance Kylie Griffin will hold you into your seat gasping for more!

From the very start of this novel I was really intrigued by the premise of this book. It got me awhile before I finish it because I don’t really want to end the novel so soon. It was an awesome read. A story back up with a great characters; I was totally in it!

The journey of Annika; a half-blood daughter of the Na’Reish King (Demon King) and Kalan a Light Blade warrior who was born to kill the Demon kind was an outstanding read! I was thrilled with the how Kylie has build this great story. I think the concept was really typical but it was told with a great voice. I was ecstatic on reading the journey of Annika and Kalan because you can feel the tensions as well as their attraction for each other. I rarely read Paranormal Romance but I think it’s safe to say that this is a great start of a wonderful series.

Character wise I was delighted on how each character developed throughout the book. Annika’s attitude toward Kalan was very instinctual and vice versa. They learned to trust each other toward their journey and thus they got to know each other more. Kalan is a very noble person, he believes in what he think is right and fights for it. Both character evolved as the stake got higher. Their attraction grows throughout the book which was big plus. Amidst the growing tension between the Light Blade Council and their love for each other it only proves that love prevails.

I can give the cover an A+ for the awesome! I love how the model has a pouch that quite essential for the Annika. I’m not really sure of the medallion but I think it’s definitely there. The tag line “Her lineage is both a blessing and a curse” is definitely eye catching and makes you want to get it.

Overall I was totally entertained and I cannot wait to read the next one. I recommend this to everyone who wants to read a Paranormal book but doesn’t know where to start. I suggest you start with this one. It’s a great start of an epic series you won’t get disappointed. Vengeance Born has the right mix of Paranormal and Romance it and that I think you will surely enjoy!

Ratings
I got this book from the author in exchange for an honest review it has no way affected my review of the book.


About the Author



Kylie Griffin’s obsession with all things paranormal/fantasy started at an early age, when she used to imagine the jacaranda tree in her front yard was a spaceship used to defend the world from invading enemies. Writing stories seemed a natural extension to her childhood adventures.

Today, she’s a primary school teacher sharing her love for the written word with young children. In her spare time, she writes and reads all things paranormal.

Kylie lives in a small rural village in outback New South Wales, Australia, where she volunteers in a number of emergency service organizations in her local community. Visit her website at www.kyliegriffin.com

Get a chance to win Alliance Forge (The Light Blade #2) on Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. What I love about this is that there's a political angle to it which you often find in high-fantasy kingdoms, but in this case gets used in angel and demon lore.

    And that takes me to the other aspect of the plot that seems very original - the fact that the lore takes on a new twist, with new layers. I think the romance not only keeps you caring about the characters but it also brings out all the facets of the demon and angel war. It's great it's a series:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fantastic novel. I like a book with great character development. I may have to pick this one up soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christina, thanks for the great comments about Vengeance Born - I love reading straight fantasy, much of my teens was spent with nose buried in books by authors like Mercedes Lackey, Andre Norton, David Eddings, CJCherryh, Anne McCaffrey - so it was no surprise that i ended up writing that fantasy element into my books. :-)

    G'day, Kristen - if you do pick up VB, I hope you enjoy the read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I love the cover too. I am a total cover junkie! I will putting this on my TBR list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know of this book's existence before your review and now I am totally going to read. What sucked me in? This line of your review: "I was ecstatic on reading the journey of Annika and Kalan because you can feel the tensions as well as their attraction for each other. ".

    I am a sucker for books in which the protagonists have tension between them and there is a definite room for character development. Overall, it sounds like a great book and I am totally putting it in my to-read shelf.

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love pararomance so I will deff have to add this book to my to-read list!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I LOVED this book! It's sooo good! It's NOT young adult, definitely adult, but I'm a young adult and I loved it. The paranormal part of the book was what drew me in. I love the world of demons and warriors that Kylie has created. And Annika is an amazing heroine. She's strong, beautiful, and caring, in more ways than most heroines of any genre. And the romance did not let down. I think my only complaint is that I would have liked to see more of Kalan's thoughts. But this book was great! 5 stars is truly accurate - everyone go get this book!!!

    Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought it was more an urban fantasy than a paranormal so had kind of put in in the maybe file. Definitely off to add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the cover[ i'm vain lol]
    gr8 review
    hope to read it soon

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...