Tuesday, July 10, 2012

[Review] Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

Farsighted
by Emlyn Chand
Published: March 15th 2012
Publisher: Blue Crown Press
Source: Author
Format: PDF
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Synopsis:

Alex Kosmitoras's life has never been easy. The only other student who will talk to him is the school bully, his parents are dead broke and insanely overprotective, and to complicate matters even more, he's blind. Just when he thinks he'll never have a shot at a normal life, an enticing new girl comes to their small Midwest town all the way from India. Simmi is smart, nice, and actually wants to be friends with Alex. Plus she smells like an Almond Joy bar. Sophomore year might not be so bad after all.

Unfortunately, Alex is in store for another new arrival—an unexpected and often embarrassing ability to "see" the future. Try as he may, Alex is unable to ignore his visions, especially when they suggest Simmi is in mortal danger. With the help of the mysterious psychic next door and friends who come bearing gifts of their own, Alex embarks on his journey to change the future.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

Who told you a blind guy with psychic powers cound't save the world? Farsighted was a delightful read!

Reading Farsighted was a great experience, you never knew you'd find a book this good! But forgive me for ruining all the fun but I think I have rather the opposite thoughts for this book. Don't get me wrong I did love it but to think of it, did it fully satisfy my reading pleasure? My answer would probably be, Yes and No. Yes because I love the characters the concept of the story was good and was written with precision. No because I feel that while reading this book every chapter was just a filler. Maybe to another reader it's not but that how it felt for me.

What makes Farsighted unique is that it has runes and a description in it. I think that the description of the runes were the summary of each chapter. You can even just read the description for each rune and understand the whole story. Which makes me feel that it's just prolonging the whole read. I did enjoy reading the rune description but I didn't think it's necessary. I admire the author's uniqueness.

Aside from the runes, I think this book needs a little bit of naming convention. I do love character names and honestly I was totally appalled with all the names in this book. It's unique I know but really? Kosmitoras? Shergill? Lafache? Warszynski? I honestly wished for better character names.

Alex Kosmitoras is blind and has psychic abilities. I find his character lack of emotion. I din't really feel any connection with him aside from him being blind which by the way didn't really feel him having this inability to see. He acted really normal, for me at least which is a downside of him being blind. I know it's hard to write from a POV of a blind protagonist this one is a failed attempt. I also do not commend the love story. I didn't really feel the love triangle.

Overall I did like this book but I have some reservations with it. I do recommend this for readers who is looking for something new to read. I know you'd love Alex and his journey to save Simmi. I just guess I'm expecting too much then got disappointed at the end. I hope by reading this you'll give Farsighted a chance. I'm sure I'll be reading the next book Open Heart!
Ratings

I got this book from the author in participation of the blog tour it has no way affected my review of the book.

About the Author


Emlyn Chand emerged from the womb with a fountain pen clutched in her left hand (true story). Since then, she has always loved to hear and tell stories. When she's not writing, she runs a large book club in Ann Arbor and is the president of author PR firm Novel Publicity. Emlyn enjoys connecting with readers and is available throughout the social media Internet world. Visit www.emlynchand.com for more info. Don't forget to say "hi" to her sun conure Ducky!
Connect with Janet on her: Website | FacebookTwitter | Google+Goodreads

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
FARSIGHTED AND OPEN HEART



Don't forget to enter the July Comment Contest!

7 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good. I have been seeing it a lot on goodreads so I might give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review...definitely seems like you found some positives as well as some negatives! I think this one sounds more like something I'd pick up at the library. It's on my TBR and because of this review it'll stay there for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good. thanks for the review very good.

    ~Shane
    new follower
    itchingforbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, JayJay, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Farsighted. I'm sorry it wasn't exactly for you, but I'm glad it wasn't exactly not for you :-P

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read it and just would like to say I really enjoyed it! It was suspenseful and I really cared for Alexis and Simmi! Both Farsighted and the sequel, for me were great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your honest review. The characters sound different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many good things about this book. I'll have to put it on my TBR list. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...