Thursday, July 5, 2012

[Review] If I Tell by Janet Gurtler

If I Tell
by Janet Gurtler
Published: October 1st 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Net Galley
Format: eARC
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary

Synopsis:
Jasmine Evans knows one thing for sure... people make mistakes. After all, she is one. Jaz is the result of a onenight stand between a black football player and a blonde princess. Having a young mother who didn't raise her, a father who wants nothing to do with her and living in a small-minded town where she's never fit in hasn't been easy. But she's been surviving. Until she sees her mom's new boyfriend making out with her own best friend. When do you forgive people for being human or give up on them forever?
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Review

One thing is for sure in this world, nobody is perfect and Jasmine Evans knows it. Everybody makes mistakes, after all she is one; a mistake. Jaz was born out of a one night stand, with a mistake her mother made, now she’s suffering all the consequences. With her undeniable heritage, messed up family, fitting in has never been easy for her. She’s trying to deny the facts but denial is one of her defense mechanism. Then she sees her mom’s new boyfriend making out with her own best friend. Forgiving hasn’t been easy for her, would you forgive for the right reason? Or would you give up on them forever.

The story tackles a lot of issues that young people faces today, the story is very poignant that it makes me want to cry. I kept reading this because I can relate with the characters, I may not be biracial like Jaz but I feel for Jaz’s character. It affected me very much thinking that what if I was at Jaz’s situation? Seeing my mother’s new boyfriend kissing my own best friend? I honestly don’t know what to do. Jaz proves to have done the right thing throughout the story; I admire her keeping the secret. It comes to a point that I think this book was a true story, I think the story was very realistic, surreal and can really happen true to life.

Jasmine Evans is a tough character; this is what I admire about every girl character in every book. She kept it all a secret even if it’s shattering her into pieces lying to her mom. I think she made the right decision keeping it. She is one character I think who is closes to a real person, one character that I think everyone can relate to. She is one person that I want to be best friends with, dunno with the trust issues part but I think she’s just being true to herself. I may not agree with the hating part with her best friend but I think she’s one friend that is for keeps. Simon is Jaz’s mom’s new boyfriend who happens to be caught making out with Jaz’s best friend Lacey. I like Simon for she proves Jaz’s speculations all wrong; he has the redeeming quality that I totally admire. Jackson is what you call bad boy of the town, he’s been caught dealing and was recently out of the juvie. Jackson’s relationship with Jaz has been a wonderful read, I really like the pace of the whole romance between them I think they both complement each other.

I cannot say much about the cover but I really like it, I just can’t help compare it to cover of The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle.

Over all If I Tell was written with realism of the world and that I dare you to devour it. I totally recommend this for contemporary readers. I know for sure that you’ll like this book. I hope you find to read If I Tell because it tackles issues that people must be aware of. Racism is one of them and if you’re one of the few people who suffer racism please be aware that you are not alone.

Ratings

I got this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review it has no way affected my review of the book.

About the Author



Janet Gurtler worked as a copywriter in radio and television before being lured over to corporate sales and marketing, where she worked for top consumer good companies until her son was born. While on maternity leave Janet returned to her love of writing and once she started writing Young Adult books, she has never looked back.

I'M NOT HER was published in May 2011 by Sourcebooks, followed by IF I TELL, also published by Sourcebooks in October 2011. In Fall 2012, WHO I KISSED will be published by Sourcebooks.
Connect with Janet on her: Blog | Twitter | Goodreads

Don't forget to enter the July Comment Contest!


3 comments:

  1. The first time I saw this book I was like "Uh no thanks" but then one of my friends told me what a great book it was I think I might reconsider :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks interesting... I've never heard of this one but you convinced me to give this one a look!

    Nice review
    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...