Tuesday, August 21, 2012

#OBSummer Author's Top Ten with Jennifer James


Top 10 - Favorite Books

I’m going to list ten of my favorite books, but the ranks mean nothing. :) I’m incapable of really picking an absolute favorite. As I age and my life experiences change, so do my favorite books. So, here are ten that I’m in love with right now.

The Wolfman
1) The Wolfman by Nicholas Pekearo

Petarko was killed before he completed any more works, which is a damn shame. The Wolfman is a beautifully crafted novel. Horrifying in its casual violence, and yet you empathize with the main character’s struggle with the beast within. Infinitely re-readable.

2) The High King’s Tomb by Kristen Britain
The third book in her Green Rider series, Britain’s plucky, resourceful, intelligent heroine Karigan faces challenge after challenge with resolve and guts. This series is a wonderful romp through a fully imagined and detailed fantasy world chock full of political intrigue, magic, war, and forbidden love. A must read for fantasy fans.

3) Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire
McGuire is a new to me author, I discovered randomly on Amazon. What a joy this book is for Urban Fantasy fans. By page two I was hooked and even depressed because I knew that at some point the distinctive, hilarious prose in front of me was going to come to an end. The heroine is unforgettable, the world building astounding, and the potential for years and years of Incryptid Novels a light in the darkness. Pick it up today!

4) Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
Vamparazzi (Esther Diamond, #4)
I’ve owned this novel since I was a small child. The cover flaps are threatening to fall off from use. It still makes me cry, laugh, and smile at the lessons it teaches about the sanctity of life, the joy of friendship, self sacrifice, and the turning of seasons.

5) Vamparazzi by Laura Resnick
Resnick’s heroine Esther Diamond has landed what should have been a shot into the big time with her latest acting role. Of course, it all goes sideways in a hurry. The cast of characters are fully imagined and drawn, the plot fast, funny, and twisting right up to the end, and Esther is, well, Esther. This is my favorite book in this series so far.

6) Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
How I love a Briggs novel. Mercy Thompson is hands down one of the best Urban Fantasy heroines out there. She’s mostly human in a world of bigger, stronger, and scarier creepies, but she holds her own. The type of woman you’d want for a friend, Mercy’s adventures in the Tri-Cities of Washington never disappoint. In Iron Kissed, plot threads that have been hanging through the previous books are resolved in such a satisfying way, I purr with contentment anytime I re-read this glorious novel.
Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
7) Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
There will always be a home on my shelves for this book. I love reading the poems to my children and laughing at the illustrations. Such wonderful language acrobatics on every page.

8) Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong
A part of the Women of the Otherworld series, this tome introduces Paige Winterbourne and Lucas Cortez. They’ve been raised to hate and fear each other by their respective cultures, but overcome it all to make one kick butt team. I love this entire series, but Paige and Lucas’s story is one of my favorites.

9) The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
On Writing
Quirky humor, infinitely quoteable, and silliness abound in this book and all the ones that followed. Adams penned a literary romp through space, and everyone should get on board. (Towel in hand, of course)

10) On Writing by Stephen King
I loved this book. It’s about more than craft and how to break into publishing. It’s about the love of the written word, the continual struggle to reach new heights in your journey, and gleaning stories from the mundane. King opens his world up for the reader, lays it out flat and unadorned. There were gems a plenty about how to become better at the craft, but I like the parts where King shared his successes, failures, frustrations, and the persistence that have stayed with him throughout his career.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
LONG TIME COMING
AND LOVE KINECTION
AVAILABLE IN KINDLE


Buy Now @ Long Time Coming 
Genre - Erotica
Rating - 18+ (High Sexual Content)
More details about the book

Buy Now @ Love Kinection
Genre - Contemporary Romance 
Rating - R
More details about the book

Giveaway
Grand Prize - Winner wins Kindle Fire and all books
Consolation Prizes - 25 x winners choice of 3 ebooks
Kindle Fire Giveaway is sponsored by 
ALL participating authors in the Orangeberry Summer Splash event.
Check out these awesome peeps HERE

a Rafflecopter giveaway

0 fancy comment:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...