Tuesday, August 14, 2012

#OBSummer Guest Post - Hitting a Royal Note


Hitting a Royal Note
by Cege Smith

I don’t think I’m the only person in the world who has an obsession with royalty. I remember in junior high checking out book after book on King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I, Mary, Queen of Scots and others because I was fascinated by the intrigue that surrounded their lives. It was like reading true life fairy tales.

I admit that as I got older, I found that I had a preference for reading about the monarchies led by Queens. Kings seemed boring, stuffy, and generally run-of-the-mill, but Queens have done things that either secured their places in history as great leaders, or ensured that they went down in infamy (Marie Antoinette, I’m looking at you!).

Modern day royals are given the same media treatment as famous Hollywood celebrities. We dissect every part of their lives from their buying habits to their choice of clothing on any given day. Last year, Kate Middleton became the heroine of little girls everywhere, and ensured that they will still dream of growing up, marrying a prince, and becoming a princess someday.

So it was no surprise to me that several years ago, I met a young woman in my imagination who intrigued me. She shared with me that her name was Angeline, and she was on the verge of becoming Queen. As I learned more about her, I was fascinated because although she was only eighteen years old, she had a backbone and an unbudging idea of what was right for her people. Now this was someone that I could really dig into. She had a story worth telling.

What grew out of that first meeting was the concept of what later became Heiress of Lies. Angeline’s life has all the adornments that you would expect for a princess: she grew up in a palace, her parents adored her, she had a proper royal education and wealth beyond measure, and a handsome love interest approved by her father. Or course, if that was all her story was about, it may not have been that interesting. So I threw in some speed bumps.

Angeline has been one of my very favorite characters to write. She isn’t a cardboard cutout with a fake smile on her face waving to the crowd. She has a deep passion for what she believes in. She would sacrifice just about everything (and almost does) to ensure that her people are safe. Plus, she doesn’t let the fact that she is a woman stop her from going after what she wants.

All royal families have intrigues and secrets, and Angeline’s is no exception. I am really excited to see where her story is taking me and my readers. Wherever it goes though, I know that she is evolving into one of those Queens who could rewrite history.

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
THE HEIRESS OF LIES
AVAILABLE ON KINDLE


Buy Now @ Amazon Kindle
Genre - YA Paranormal Romance
Rating - PG13

More details about this book
Connect with Cege Smith on Facebook & Twitter

Giveaway
Grand Prize - Winner wins Kindle Fire and all books
Consolation Prizes - 25 x winners choice of 3 ebooks
Kindle Fire Giveaway is sponsored by 
ALL participating authors in the Orangeberry Summer Splash event.
Check out these awesome peeps HERE

a Rafflecopter giveaway

4 comments:

  1. I'm not obsessed with modern royals but I am obsessed with old ones (the ones in history books are so fascinating )


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Krazzyme! I agree, those old royals make for some VERY interesting reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an intriguing character. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...