Monday, August 13, 2012

#OBSummer Playlist Monday with Caddy Rowland

Here's another edition of Playlist Monday! Today I'm featuring the playlist of Caddy Rowland's Gastien! I hope bring attention to this book as well as the songs that the author picked for the book playlist. This is part of Orangeberry Summer Splash Tour, without further ado here's Charlie talking about Gastien's Playlist!

I have been asked to share what kind of music I had in the back of my mind when writing The Gastien Series. The music really didn’t come to mind when writing, as I write in silence. I also am one of those “weird ones” that says the character writes the story. That is really what I believe happened. One day I simply decided to spend at least an hour a day writing this story, placed my hands on the keyboard and asked Gastien to tell me.

Well, tell me he did. Some days my hands could not type fast enough. Afterward I would have to research to make sure things fit the time period, but the storyline was all done by “Gastien”. More time was spent in research after typing than in actual writing because I wanted a book that was historically accurate. The bohemian art era of Paris has special meaning to me because I am also a painter, and I wanted to show it as it really was – warts and all.

Now that the story is done, there are songs and types of music that remind me of the different parts to the story. Since the overall story is dark and extremely dramatic, with plenty of horrific struggle, the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin is the theme song. I think the music of this song celebrates the huge obstacles Gastien had to overcome, the awfulness of the situations he faced the first nineteen years of his life, and also the escape he found with drugs and liquor. ( I hesitated to share the theme song here because it was also used for the movie The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, so I run the risk of sounding like a copycat. However, I am definitely not a liar, and this song would be the theme regardless of if that movie had been made or not, so there it is in all of its hard rock glory.)



Gastien lived in a time where hashish, opium, heroin, morphine and other drugs were legal. In fact, they were sold in catalogs! Many artists during the nineteenth century indulged in both drugs and many types of liquor, including absinthe. The bohemian artists of Paris were partying, hard living people who were not shy about altering their minds. Gastien was no exception. He had a lot of physical (and emotional) pain due to the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, and drugs helped mask it.

He also tended to get lost for long periods of time in his paintings. Therefore, another song would be “A Little Help From My Friends” by The Beatles. He definitely existed in another plane as often as he could. It was a place of safety for him, where people could not hurt him.



D’yer Mak’er by Led Zeppelin is another that reminds me of Gastien, probably during periods of narcissism he indulged in sexually to forget what was really going on in his life (D’yer mak’er is short for “Did you make her?’ referring to what guys ask another guy the night after he went out with a girl). It also has the sound of someone hopelessly high.



Although I talk here about excessive lifestyle and Gastien lived that way, I don’t want to sound as though I am condoning that. Gastien had good reason to want to alter reality but ultimately it cost him dearly, as is seem in later books of the series. Oh, and by the way, I never listened much to Zeppelin!

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
GASTIEN PART 1: THE COST OF THE DREAM
AVAILABLE IN KINDLE AND PAPERBACK


Buy Now @ Amazon Kindle
Genre - Family Saga / Historical Fiction 
Rating - 18+ 

More details about the book
Connect with Caddy Rowland on Facebook & Twitter

Giveaway
Grand Prize - Winner wins Kindle Fire and all books
Consolation Prizes - 25 x winners choice of 3 ebooks
Kindle Fire Giveaway is sponsored by 
ALL participating authors in the Orangeberry Summer Splash event.
Check out these awesome peeps HERE

a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for featuring Gastien on Playlist Monday. I really apprecaite it. I will check back to see if anyone has questions about Gastien. By the way, your blog looks awesome and I have joined it. Happy Monday and Happy All Week!
    -Caddy Rowland

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...