Monday, August 6, 2012

#OBSummer Playlist Monday with Charlie Courtland plus Kindle Fire G!veaway

Here's another edition of Playlist Monday! Today I'm featuring the playlist of Charlie Courtland's Dandelions in the Garden! I hope bring attention to this book as well as the songs that the author picked for the book playlist. This is part of Orangeberry Summer Splash Tour, without further ado here's Charlie talking about Dandelions in the Garden's Playlist!

When I originally wrote Dandelions in the Garden it was one book. However, as time went on I realized that it was too long and would need to be divided. Because of this, the songs below really influenced the original book and can be applied to both Dandelions in the Garden and it’s second half, The Hidden Will of the Dragon.

Hurt by Trent Reznor is the theme song and inspiration for the book. I actually incorporated some of the lyrics in the first paragraph of several chapters. The song helps tell the story and vice versa.

Hurt by Trent Reznor


I imagine using this song for the opening scenes where the older Amara is living in Vienna in the townhouse and visiting the café on a daily basis. This song is the mature, reminiscent version of the character, Amara.

Après Moi by Regina Spektor


The Sinner in Me really applies as a theme song to the second book in the series. This song worked as a muse for creating the middle years of Elizabeth’s character.

The Sinner in Me by Depeche Mode


This is one of my favorite songs and I suppose a muse to most of the works I write. It puts me in a meditative state and opens my mind up to forming the characters. I think it is important to really take the time to get into the character’s mind. Sometimes they do and act in ways we (as writers) don’t approve of, but it is necessary in order to create a genuine story. I love all three versions along with the original by the Pixies. If the books are ever turned into a movie, these songs would have to be peppered through several scenes. It’s just how I envision it.

Where is My Mind (Michigan Nights remix) by Block Barley
Where is My Mind String Quartet Tribute by Vitamin String Quartet
Where is My Mind Lounge Anthology by Maxence Cyrin



What would historical fiction be without classical music? This was the muse for several love scenes between the characters. Also, specifically constructed for the scenes in Venice.

Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C Sharp Minor http://youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU

This song speaks to the isolation of the women, the waiting and wanting. Always it was darkness that gave them the little freedom they needed to emotionally survive. The night was a friend.

Waiting for the Night by Depeche Mode http://youtu.be/_prY01lZYE4

I don’t want to ruin it for those who haven’t read the books, but when you do think about this song during the dungeon and torture scenes. It brings out a side that might terrify you. It did me as a writer.

If I was Your Vampire by Marilyn Manson http://youtu.be/ctRNt5qbOFc

Much like an athlete, writers sometimes have pre-writing music or prep songs that get them in the proper state of mind to create the scenes they are working on. Nothing works better than this song by Disturbed for me. It’s my ‘fight’ song--my meditative, shut the door and don’t interrupt me for the next five hours song. It’s part of my prepping and mental preparedness for writing horror fiction. The best scene this song inspired is when the Turks are invited to dinner at Elizabeth’s castle. What occurs should be accompanied with this song in the background. It also plays to Amara and Elizabeth’s state of mind in several areas of the book.

Down With the Sickness by Disturbed http://youtu.be/09LTT0xwdfw

Love this song and love the remake by Manson, especially for horror writing. This song screams to be played during the scenes at Aunt Klara’s house.

Tainted Love by Marilyn Manson http://youtu.be/AVHITKnBnRY

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
DANDELION IN THE GARDEN
AVAILABLE IN KINDLE AND PAPERBACK


Buy Now @ Amazon & Smashwords
Genre - Historical Fiction 
Rating - PG17

More details about the book
Connect with Charlie Courtland on Facebook

Giveaway
Grand Prize - Winner wins Kindle Fire and all books
Consolation Prizes - 25 x winners choice of 3 ebooks
Kindle Fire Giveaway is sponsored by 
ALL participating authors in the Orangeberry Summer Splash event.
Check out these awesome peeps HERE

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Disturbed, Marilyn Manson... I shoul def. get a copy of this book. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...