Sunday, September 16, 2012

[Review] Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Inside Out
by Maria V. Snyder
Series: Insider #1
Published: April 1st 2010
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Genre: Science Fiction / Dystopian
Add on Goodreads
Synopsis:
Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.
buy the book from The Book Depository, free deliveryBuy it on Amazon

Review

With a stunning cover and interesting synopsis, I found every reason to read this book. It also happens that Across The Universe, which is one of my favorites, is often compared to this, so without a doubt I knew I'm gonna give it a shot.

The thing is, maybe I should have expected it to be a little complicated. Or was it just me? Okay, I may not have the most creative, extensive and flexible imagination, so I had to google unfamiliar things which I have no idea how they look like from time to time. Maybe I'm just a sucker in these kinds of matter -- since it's a sci-fi material, I want to visualize everything and I'm very keen on small details so I had a hard time digesting the whole thing. I almost gave up reading this because seriously, the first few chapters was like a mad rush of action scenes. Bu then, after postponing this for a few weeks, the quick paced events excited me.

Trella, born as a scrub who lives in the world of Inside and somewhat a loner, is one strong, admirable character to consider. This book with this kind of heroine is just what I've always wanted to dive in. She's a firm, mature character who knows how to contain herself in different kinds of situation, yet surprisingly, she's very brave and fearless. And as events went on, I was amazed how cleverly this book was described, and how characters stand their own identity. It's packed with an extreme amount of action, and you will find yourself gripping hard, and holding your breath from exciting happenings. The romance is also well written, and I love how Trella and Riley had been dragged together in a romantic way, yet not losing the action and exciting aspect.

The ending was even more gripping, and definitely left a big room of expectations on the next book. I have read a few other dystopian and sci-fi ones, and having read this book, I guess I'm setting them into a new higher set of standards. They're just really good! And, Inside Out is definitely one of them. Can't wait to read Outside In!

Ratings

Book Trailer


About the Author


Maria V. Snyder changed from being a meteorologist to a novelist in 1995, when she began writing to keep her sanity while raising two children. Since then, she has published numerous freelance articles in magazines and newspapers, and teaches fiction-writing classes at the local college and area libraries. The classes give her the wonderful opportunity to encourage fellow writers, and to keep improving her craft.

Born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Maria always had a fascination with big storms. Dreaming of chasing tornados, Maria earned a bachelors of science degree in meteorology at Penn State University. But she discovered, much to her chagrin, that forecasting the weather wasn't one of her skills. In order to chase tornados you had to predict where they might form. Creating fantasy worlds where she has complete control of the weather was more agreeable to her.
Connect with Maria on her: Website | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads | HarlequinTeen

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
INSIDE OUT AND OUTSIDE IN
AVAILABLE ON KINDLE AND PAPERBACK



14 comments:

  1. I loved these books and everything else of Maria V. Snyder's that I have read so far :) glad to see you enjoyed this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! As for me...well, I do have an out-of-control-imagination so it was easy for me to visualize things.. ;) This is one of my favorites. Read it in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was dying to read these for ages and finally got the chance to recently, I did enjoy them but also found them a bit hard to get into. I loved the ending though :)

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thanks for reminding me why I wanted to read this series. Need to dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Maria V. Snyder! Glad you enjoyed this book, I did too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful, honest review which made me want to read this book! It sounds so amazing and exciting (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my bookshelf for quite a while now... never got round to reading it... Bumped it up to #1 spot on my TBR, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series! and i think it is much better than Across the Universe in terms of plot and execution, IMHO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to read this one. Maria V. Snyder is such a star. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard about this series recently. Thank you for the heads up about the first few chapters. I'll be adding it to my to-read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard about the book until now. Quite interesting synopsis. Another one to be added in my TBR list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard about this book or author until reading this review. It's a great story line with a great heroin and lots of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've met Maria twice now - she's super nice! I've read her entire Study series, but not this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The synopsis is interesting. Great review! I think I will add this book to my tbr list. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...