Monday, October 29, 2012

[Guest Post] Challenges You Face As A Writer


WHAT ARE THE CHALLENGES YOU FACE AS A WRITER IN YOUR GENRE?
BY MICHELLE HUGHES


As a writer of Erotica, among other genres, one of the biggest challenges is not being upset when certain bloggers refuse to share your work. As an author and a blogger, I've included many books on my site that were not to my personal preference, and even challenged my belief. That being said I do get somewhat offended when other authors and bloggers refuse to see Erotica as a mainstream category.


A book world without prejudice should be the goal of every author, because topics of religion, sexual orientation, and others will not be reading preference for some readers. All books should be widely available regardless of any personal preference. The only exception to this rule, in my opinion should be young adult. I do believe that YA blogs should steer clear of Erotica because it’s not an acceptable reading form for children.

Outside of the challenge of finding places to promote Erotica, the second issue I’ve found is the acceptance of a small community when you discuss what you write. For that reason I’ve chosen to keep the work that I do as far removed as possible from my children’s lives where I live. The vampire romances I’ve written were hard enough to explain, add Erotica in the mix and the majority of my small community would assume I was hell bound. Even in this day and age there is the stigmatism associated with writing sexual content in books.

As the mother of five children, and married, this has been the greatest challenge for me. My youngest children don’t read my work, and as far as they know I write love stories. I have no shame about the words I write, but I would never allow my family to be hurt by something I enjoy doing. As my children grow into the age of understanding, I will share with them why I decided to write books with this type of theme.

Erotica is just as creative and requires as much research as all genres of literature and I think those that have a negative opinion should rethink their thoughts. As authors, we have a huge voice in the public arena, and I believe we should all be supporters of each other’s craft. With some of the top ranking books sporting an Erotic theme these days, it’s hard to keep this out of the mainstream. I for once was very pleased to see a certain book hold the number one contemporary romance category. It validates my opinion that Erotica does have a place in mainstream literature.


MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
10 NIGHTS
AVAILABLE ON KINDLE AND PAPERBACK


Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Contemporary Romance
Rating – R

More details about the book
Connect with Michelle Hughes & Karl Jones on Facebook & Twitter

0 fancy comment:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...