Monday, December 3, 2012

[Blog Tour] The Kiss Off Excerpt


The Kiss Off
by Sarah Billington
Series: The Kiss Off #1
Published: June 2012
Publisher: Billington Media
Genre: Young Adult / Romance / Contemporary
Add on Goodreads
Synopsis:
WARNING: Sexual references, occassional coarse language.

When sixteen year old Poppy Douglas writes a song about her ex-boyfriend Cam and ex-friend Nikki, she has no idea that her heartbreak is about to go global.

A local band picks up her song from Youtube and soon she’s along for the ride with her own fanbase as they blow up on the local club scene and hit the international charts. Though it turns out leaving Cam behind isn’t as easy as she had hoped.

Tangled in a web of unfinished homework, ill-considered sexting and a new lead-singer boyfriend, Poppy has a choice to make between the ex that inspired it all and the rock God whose poster lines the inside of half the lockers at school. But as she struggles to keep her emotional dirty laundry private, she learns that the truth can be hard to find when your life is in the headlines.
Buy the book from The Book Depository, free deliveryBuy it on Amazon

EXCERPT

After lead singer Ty of local band Academy of Lies asks Poppy if they could play her song, The Kiss Off, at their next gig, she and her friends are at the gig to see the band in action. They may have also somehow scored an Over-21 wristband which gets them served at the bar.
I grinned and swayed a little on my feet as the room spun. Ravi grabbed me before I could hit the sticky floor.

“Whoa,” he said. “You alright?”

I nodded and put a hand to my forehead, closing my eyes but that made everything worse so I blinked them open again. “Maybe?”

“You gonna be sick?”

I shook my head and winced as everything whirled around. “Whoa…” I said.

“Come on,” Ravi said, putting my arm around his shoulders. “Let’s go outside and get you some fresh air.”

We weaved our way to the toilets and found the delivery entrance. I took a deep breath as the chill night air hit my skin. Already I was starting to feel better.

“You just sit down here,” he said, lowering me down onto the loading dock.

“I’m alright, Ravi,” I said. “I’m okay.”

“You sure?”

“Yep, the air’s nice.”

“I’ll go get you some water. Be back in a bit.” He disappeared back inside.

“Thank you!” I called after him, the heavy outer door slamming behind him. I took some more deep breaths, ignoring the faint whiff of trash from the dumpster further up the alley. It was pretty clean, as far as alleys go. A couple of cars parked back here, and a van which I assumed belonged to the Academy of Lies. I couldn’t believe what they had done to my song, how they had transformed it from something average into something epic. I also couldn't believe how the world was spinning.

“Hey, what are you doing out here?” I twisted to look behind me and my stomach fluttered when I saw it was Ty, smiling down at me, looking amused. “You hiding from me? Was it really that bad?” he asked, taking a swig from a can of Mountain Dew.

“Hey – no!” I said. “Of course not, I just, you know, it’s hot in there,” I said, fanning myself.

“Okay, good,” he said.

“What are you doing out here? Why aren't you on stage? Isn't the band missing their front man? You didn’t tell me you were the front man.”

“ Didn't I?” he said. “Well I am. We’re between sets.”

“Oh.”

“That song,” I said, shaking my head.

He stiffened. “Yeah?”

“Words cannot describe how much I loved it. You made it awesome.”

He grinned, clearly relieved, and sat beside me on the dock. “No, you made it awesome.” He nudged me with his shoulder. “We just did our thing.”

I smiled at him.

“It’s going pretty well, don’t you think?” he said. “Good crowd.”

“It’s going great,” I agreed. “I’m having the best time.”

“So, how many guys have tried to pick you up yet?”

I grimaced.

“Clearly no one’s succeeded, since you’re sitting out here by yourself.”

“Or maybe you scared him off,” I shot back.

“Maybe,” Ty smirked. He did have a subtle glance around though. I caught him. He totally liked me!

“If you must know,” I said, “I’m a little bit drunk.”

“Oh,” he laughed.

I held my thumb and pointer finger together and squinted at him. “Only a little bit.”

“Are you going to hurl everywhere? Is there going to be projectile vomit? Do you think you could hit the Mazda over there? No, how about that crate, can you see it?”

“I’m not going to projectile vomit, jackass,” I told him with a grin. “At least I don’t think so.”

He held up his can of Dew. “Cheers.”

“What are you cheersing to?”

“To there being no projectile vomit in our immediate futures.” Ty sculled his Mountain Dew, snorted and started coughing. And kept coughing. I slapped him on the back a couple of times.

“Urgh,” he said between wheezes and gasping breaths. His eyes were streaming and he rubbed at them and his nose with theback of his hand. I giggled. I couldn’t help it.

“It went up my nose.”

I totally laughed then. Anyone would have. Even he did.

“Stop laughing,” he told me. “The bubbles, it burns.”

“You are such a dork.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR




Sarah Billington is an Australian writer and editor who likes to write stories with love, laughs, suspense and zombies. Sometimes all in the same story.

She writes predominantly light Young Adult fiction under her name, Sarah Billington, but if you're interested in something a bit darker and scarier you could try out her other persona, Edwina Ray's writing. Edwina Ray is an Amazon best selling author. This makes Sarah Billington very jealous.

Sarah loves a variety of random things, which include Swing Dancing, Ice Hockey, Roller Derby and is a bit obsessive about paranormal investigation shows and channel E!. She has also become known as "the zombie girl" because of her fascination with all things zombie. She doesn't quite know how that happened, but she's going with it.
Connect with Sarah on her: Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads


MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
THE KISS OFF AND OTHER BOOKS BY SARAH
AVAILABLE ON KINDLE AND PAPERBACK

2 comments:

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...