Friday, February 8, 2013

Author Interview with Rachel Thompson


Tell us a bit about your family. I’ve been married over twenty years to a good guy. My daughter is 13 and very artistic. My son is 7 and squirrelly but very sweet.
What is your favorite quality about yourself? I’m a pretty calm person. Very little ruffles me.
What is your least favorite quality about yourself? I’m a terrible cook. I’m also impatient.
What is your favorite quote, by whom, and why? I quote Lorrie Moore in my latest book, Broken Pieces: ‘Write something you’d never show your mother or father.’ It’s difficult for many people; for me, it’s been incredibly freeing.
What are you most proud of accomplishing so far in your life? Publishing 3 books!
What is your favorite color? Dark pink – magenta.
What’s your favorite place in the entire world? London.
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? My 4th grade teacher read us The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and that was it – I was hooked. To this day, I love that book.
When and why did you begin writing? At age 10 and throughout my life. Professionaly, in 2008 for publications and my blog. Published since 2011.
When did you first know you could be a writer? When I made my tough guy biology teacher cry with a poem I wrote.
What inspires you to write and why? I love music – the darker and moodier, the better. Rain, also.
What genre are you most comfortable writing? Definitely nonfiction, but I’m also working on fiction at the moment.

What contributes to making a writer successful? Honesty. If people hate your work, there’s a reason for that. I’ve learned so much from the low-rated reviews of my first two books. Figuring out what I need to change has been such a terrific learning process for me.
What do you do to unwind and relax? I’m an avid reader. I still love to escape into books – either fiction or nonfiction. Just something that takes me somewhere else.
What dreams have been realized as a result of your writing? I’m constantly amazed at how well people receive my books and that they enjoy them (though some hate my first two books so vehemently – I actually love that also!).
If you could leave your readers with one bit of wisdom, what would you want it to be? There’s no easy way to sell your books. It’s hard work, but rewarding. Don’t be afraid of social media. And no matter what, always keep writing.
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – NonFiction
Rating – PG13
More details about the author & the book
Connect with Rachel Thompson on Twitter & Facebook

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me here today!

    xo,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this closer look at you. Broken Pieces is so different from your first two books but it's like seeing a deeper side of you through your writing.

    MAJK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, I have the same philosophy about people hating my books. I'm glad because it shows I've touched a nerve. The very reason somebody hates a book is the same reason someone else loves it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...