Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Into Movies: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Emily Watson, Sophie Nelisse and Geoffrey Rush are set to topline Fox 2000’s adaptation of Markus Zusak’s best-selling novel The Book Thief.

French-Canadian actress Sophie Nelisse, who appeared in Monsieur Lahzar, will make her English-language debut as the title character in the World War II drama being directed by Brian Percival (Downton Abbey).


Thief centers on Liesel (Nelisse), a spirited young girl who witnesses the horrors of Nazi Germany while in the care of foster parents (Rush and Watson). The girl arrives with a stolen book and begins collecting other tomes, learning to read while her stepparents harbor a Jewish refugee (Schnetzer) under the stairs.

Rush’s character first takes on the young girl for money but soon comes to love her. Watson’s character is described as being very tough on Liesel, but her kindness occasionally shows through.

The film is looking at a production start this month in Berlin. Karen Rosenfelt and Ken Blancatoare producing.

Credits to Hollywood Reporter



I can't be more excited to read this article and I thought I share the news. I have heard so many good things about the book but still haven't had the chance of reading it. Books getting movie deals isn't really new in the business, the only thing I can think of what the producers have in mind by doing this movie is because it's a good material. I'm a firm believer that this movie will do good, as well as other books being movies. I can't judge the cast since I still haven't read the book... yet but it seems that they have a good ensemble of actor and actress. I'll make sure to read the book first before the movie comes out!

Have you read The Book Thief? What can you say about the cast? 
Are you excited for the movie? Share your thoughts in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I loved the book so I'm a little scared the movie won't live up to my expectations, but I think overall it will be a good movie. The book is popular among many ages so I think that will help the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book! I'm excited about the movie, maybe it won't be as good, but I think it will be great.

    Try to read the book! I never thought I would like it but it's one of my favorites now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited for this! It will probably be one of the saddest movies ever, but I am still so stoked. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief is in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I just finished it like 15 minutes ago, but it was amazing. The movie will be very sad (obviously), but I think that it will be quite good. However,Geoffrey Rush is too old to play Hans in my opinion, I know he is middle aged, but Geoffrey just looks too old to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely fell in love with this book, with the story and with the characters. It is truly a masterpiece of Zusaks' many. I can't help but feel nervous about the film, just because it is a readers job to see the story unfold in front of them and to connect on a personal level. I hope the film does the book justice and captures the characters the way I see them in my head. I will absolutely make a point of going to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think Liesel is perfect!! I can't wait for the movie, though I'm really really scared it won't live up to the book... But I'm so glad we have a cast!! :D

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...