Sunday, March 9, 2014

[Review] Anew by Chelsea Fine

Anew
by Chelsea Fine
Series: The Archers of Avalon #1
Published: December 7th 2011
Publisher: Firefall Publishing
Genre: Young Adult / Paranormal / Fantasy
Add on Goodreads
Synopsis:
Two years ago, Scarlet awoke in the forest alone, afraid, and unable to remember anything. Lost and confused, her life was a mystery...until she met a boy with a familiar voice.

Gabriel Archer has a voice from her past, and Scarlet's determined to remember why. She immerses herself in his life only to discover he has a brother he's kept hidden from her: Tristan Archer.

Upon meeting Tristan, Scarlet's world becomes even more muddled. While she's instinctively drawn to Gabriel, she's impossibly drawn to Tristan--and confused out of her mind. As she tries to piece together her history Scarlet realizes her past...might just be the death of her.
Buy the book from The Book Depository, free deliveryBuy it on Amazon


Chelsea Fine obviously knew that this is going to be a trilogy so she ended the book… without really ending it. But boy wasn’t I relieved that I reached the last page of the book. It really took a great deal of effort and a terrifying threat of boredom (knowing as I don’t have anything else to do really) for me to continue reading this book.

So our protagonist is a girl who had amnesia and had caught the eye of a really hot guy who had a secret evil twin that is equally as hot but is probably hotter because of his inclination to do really evil stuff like sacrificing himself for our amnesiac girl. That just sounded delish, now doesn’t it?

But then you start reading and as you go along, the only thing that keeps popping into your head is, “When is it coming?” You know when I say “it” I really meant when is this wonderful feeling of joy and excitement and thrill coming because really it’s the only reason why I read a book.

Usually, I become all so dreamy with all the boy candies that I get to read in a book. (Because well I don’t have much of a life.) And this book had some. At least there are exactly two of them… that are identical so there’s really only one. But it’s all good. (Let me just say that even I may sound like a boring girl desperate for a real life adventure, I believe that books aren’t just about boys and their hot selves.)

So you’re hoping to get something out from the book (not just the boy candies). You need to juice it out to make it worth the read. But then you find out that no matter how much you squeeze it in, you really couldn’t take anything because the storyline is so dry. The conversations take so long without really showing anything significant that you haven’t already known.

In every page, you wish you could learn something new to look forward to because it’s naturally why you call books page turners. But it isn’t. I feel as if because this book is meant to be a trilogy that the content of this first installment is totally a drag. Nothing really big is happening. It’s like the book is delaying and you just wish it ends.

It might be a technique to keep the most important things from being spilled. And I don’t think it’s a bad thing. But if that’s the only thing interesting (you know the thing the is being kept from spilling) that is going on and nothing supports it then maybe it’s really not meant to be a trilogy at all. You like to read good stuffs, juicy and delicious good stuffs. But if it’s being kept away from you since the beginning then why continue reading.

We don’t ask for complete and detailed information about the whole meaning of the book. Trust me; I’d like to read it in the climax. I wasn’t hoping for the grand revelation to happen. I just wanted something interesting to keep me going.

It’s not entirely boring though. There are moments in this book that really made me smile. I was able to finish it after all. If it was so bad, I might not even have the strength to carry on until the last page. The characters were nice. They were not overly dramatic, in a really annoying overly dramatic kinda way. Sometimes overly dramatic is fun and cute but other times it’s just irritating to read and this was not the latter so it’s all good.

There are moments though that I could not agree how the protagonist is being a girlfriend of one brother and still secretly fantasizes about the other brother. But maybe it’s just my superfreakystrict morals. So I’m not going to hold it against anyone. And as of this moment, I do not know if I would read the next book. I mean if it’s only about the more interesting things that I was whining about earlier, it’s most probably in the second book right? But knowing that there’s still a third one make me wonder if the second one will still be as dragging as this.



RATINGS




ABOUT THE AUTHOR





Chelsea lives in Phoenix, AZ where she spends most of her time writing young adult fiction, painting murals, and avoiding housework at all costs. Her obsessions include: superheroes, coffee, sleeping-in, and crazy socks. She lives with her husband and two children, who graciously tolerate her inability to resist teenage drama on TV and her complete lack of skill in the kitchen.

Find out more about Chelsea's next book on her website: www.ChelseaFineBooks.com

Connect with Paige on her: Website | Twitter | Goodreads

MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUT
THE ARCHERS OF AVALON SERIES
AND OTHER BOOKS BY CHELSEA


1 comment:

  1. Hope your next read will be better. I read this book a long time ago and didn't enjoy it quite as much either.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Feel free to express what you feel.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...